Rebecca's Reviews > Seventeenth Summer

Seventeenth Summer by Maureen Daly

Jun 07, 12

Read from June 05 to 07, 2012

I was curious to read a YA book that was published in 1941. It was interesting to see what has changed and what has pretty much stayed the same in YA lit. The two biggest differences were some of the language (Gee, that's swell!) and the innocence. I remember the thrill of the first time I held a boy's hand and the whole innocence of it all. But... I wasn't 17 and just graduating from high school. And kissing (or necking) wasn't something that was gasped about (especially if you were 17). I know that my parents didn't like me just "hanging out" or loitering places without a purpose, but they didn't worry about what people would think of me and my girlfriends going out all by ourselves to the movies or to a restaurant.

It definitely didn't have the edge that a lot of today's YA lit has. But except for a few little things, I could easily believe that this was written today to fit with a backdrop of 1941. This book is an excellent recommendation for teens who want a romance book, without sexual situations (I actually work in a population where this is a common request). The biggest drawback though would be the amount of smoking and drinking. But back then the drinking age was 18 and smoking wasn't quite as taboo as it is now.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seventeenth Summer.

message 1: by Minna (new)

Minna Isn't ironic? Kissing was taboo, but smoking wasn't. Strange how times change.

Rebecca The protagonist and her sisters weren't allowed to smoke or drink because it wasn't very lady like. LOL

But on the other hand the parents were worried about her summer relationship, because they were worried that she would be tempted to stay home and get married vs going off to college. Which I thought was very cool, especially coming from the 1940s.

message 3: by Minna (new)

Minna That is actually cool. I'd read it, if I didn't have such a *MONSTROUS* TBR pile.