Theo's Reviews > The Artist's Way: A Spiritual Path to Higher Creativity

The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron

U_50x66
Jun 05, 12

Read in January, 1997

A truly wonderful book. I was lucky to have this book as required reading for a college acting class. We read a chapter a week over the course of a 10 week term. And then it was up to us to finish reading the last two chapters.

It opened up my perspective about creativity. And allowed me to not beat myself up for what I once considered "artistic failures." Full of insight, and great quotes. Yes, it's a bit 'touchy-feely,' and that might turn some people off, but it allows you get in touch with yourself, your desires and goals. I'm really looking forward to reading "Vein of Gold," also by Julia Cameron.

If you do read this book--do yourself a favor, and do all the exercises (within reason--and most of them are reasonable), the morning pages, etc. You can't fully experience the insight this book has to offer unless you commit to it. Do I still do morning pages religiously? No. But I do journal from time to time, and receive an abundance of self realization from it. And doing morning pages inspired that tendency within me. I still take myself out on Artist's Dates, and celebrate myself, with a sense of abundance, etc. I have to say that I'm really glad I read this book. I'm proud to say, it has helped shape me into the artist I have become.

...Now. Having stated all of that. I recently picked it back up and tried to implement it into my life again, and it didn't have the same effect; it's not that type of Non-fiction self-help book that you can pick up many times to gain inspiration from. It's the sorta book you read once, do all the exercises, and gain insight from. Practice the tenets of it which you choose, and leave the rest for which you don't care. But it's definitely worth a look.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Artist's Way.