Ellen's Reviews > Speak Ill of the Dead

Speak Ill of the Dead by Mary Jane Maffini

Jun 05, 12

Read in June, 2012

Speak well of the author, June 5, 2012

By Ellen Rappaport (Florida)

This review is from: Speak Ill of the Dead: A Camilla MacPhee Mystery (Paperback)
I've read all the books in Mary Jane Maffini's other series...which I enjoyed so much. So I thought why not give M.J.'s other series a try.

I am so pleased to say that M.J. Maffini did not disappoint me with this her first book in the Camilla MacPhee series.

Camilla MacPhee is not like her other sisters at all. They are all such fashion statements and Camilla...well let's just say she could care less about making impressions. Camilla is a lawyer and quite independent. She's had to be since her husband's passing. So she throws herself into her career at Justice for Victims. Camilla gets thrown a spoiled brat with a sense of entitlement named Alvin who absolutely needs a place to work...like her agency and right now. That is according to Camilla's Father who loves to pick up strays and point them in the right direction.

Mitzi Brochu, a fashion guru with the personality of a shark, turns up dead in her hotel room minutes before Camilla's appointment with her. But who discovers the gruesome body? Camilla's best friend Robin. Robin is taken into custody and grilled by the police until Camilla comes to her rescue and attempts to intervine on her behalf. The best way for Camilla to do this is to become, you guessed it, Robin's lawyer.

Camilla is a fiesty character and likable. She's on the side of the good guys and pays for it in more than threats. As the story developes two sidekicks become part of Camilla's posse. Alvin soon learns the ropes of investigation and super sleuthing from Camilla and earns his right to be a welcomed character in this plot. Mrs. Parnell, Camilla's cantankerous elderly neighbor, wins a spot in my heart as she devlopes a partnership with our heroine in solving this mystery.

All in all I enjoyed every page of this book. It was interesting with characters that took on a life of their own. I intend to continue reading this series and look forward to the next book in the Camilla MacPhee series.

So glad M.J. Maffini decided to write another series. Highly recommended to all lovers of cozies.
Ellen

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Speak Ill of the Dead.