Sarah's Reviews > Ready Player One

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Jun 13, 12

bookshelves: adult-fiction, futuristic, adventure, sci-fi, dystopian, audio-version, humorous
Read from June 08 to 13, 2012

Cline's debut novel is brimming over with 80s and tech geekery. His fascination and love for old video games, TV, and movies is readily apparent as his protagonist, Wade, navigates a series of virtual reality challenges in order to claim the billion dollar prize left hidden by the software's founder. Along the way, Wade battles evil in the form of corporate thugs, learns a little about reality vs. connected life, and overcomes a lot of life's hurdles.

Cline's book, as fun and engaging as it is, is clunky. The endless back story and detail is simultaneously necessary, boring, yet still fascinating. He knows his trivia and wants the reader to know he knows it. All in all, it's a lot of telling, but then again, how else would you be able to articulate a game within a virtual reality world within a work of fiction?

I started this one with the audiobook narrated by Wil Wheaton, who does a superb job of inflecting the right tone and feeling. I enjoyed this format much more than sitting down with the book itself to finish off the last third. Perhaps if I were more immersed in the subculture to begin with, I might have more invested interest in this book. But, sometimes reading it just felt like watching someone else play a video game.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ready Player One.