Susie's Reviews > The Good, the Bad, and the Undead

Jun 05, 12

bookshelves: urban-fantasy
Read in June, 2012

** spoiler alert ** 3.5 Stars

As expected, the second in the series was better than the first, although I was disappointed that we had to wait so long to get some real page time with Trent. When he does finally pop up, the wait was almost worth it. Something about his character draws me in.

I wish I can say the same for Rachel. She really really bugged me in this one. The first 75%, I wanted to strangle her. The only reason why I plowed through the book was because I reminded myself that I too may suffer from tunnel vision had I experienced what she did while w/ Trent. I just wish that she would have broken out of her intense focus on him being a killer more quickly. And to top it off, the errors in judgment she made time and time again made me want to throw the book away. Simply commands like "stay put for now," were too hard for her to follow. And when she finally sees that she was at fault, her apologies were just not enough. She’d only just do it again. Blah.

Rachel somewhat redeems herself for me when she finally realized that maybe Trent wasn’t the one killing witches. This is where the book picked up for me. I forgave her for her idiocy because I really connected w/ Rachel in the last scene w/ Piscary. I wish I can say the name for Ivy. Ivy just really creeped me out this entire book. Geez, I hope it gets better.

As for the ending, I loved it. It was sweet and held promise...I hope.

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Good, the Bad, and the Undead.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Persephone (new)

Persephone Jones [i] The only reason why I plowed through the book was because I reminded myself that I too may suffer from tunnel vision had I experienced what she did while w/ Trent. I just wish that she would have broken out of her intense focus on him being a killer more quickly. And to top it off, the errors in judgment she made time and time again made me want to throw the book away. Simply commands like "stay put for now," were too hard for her to follow. And when she finally sees that she was at fault, her apologies were just not enough. She’d only just do it again. Blah.[/i]

Word, girl. So much word. I was disappointed with the first book, but a friend who read the series advised me that it gets better so I checked out the second book on audio cd at the library. I almost felt like I made a mistake in continuing the series, as Rachel is one of the worst heroines I've had the displeasure of listening to on. While I'm sure I have done it before, I'm having difficulty recalling the last time I have yelled "No! Don't do it!" and "You are so dumb!" out loud at a character time after time after time! On this case, for every good decision or conclusion she made, she would later negate her progress by jumping to the wrong conclusion or make glaringly bad decisions, like, not following orders or plunging ahead without backup. A great example you gave was not staying put after being told to do so. Is it really so hard to not risk contaminating a crime scene by staying put? And when she claimed that she's not a detective, but a bounty hunter? I remember thinking that it doesn't take a detective to know that you need to follow commands from superiors for the good of the case being built.

And as far as her boneheaded decisions to rush headlong into danger? The fact that she manages to survive by sheer dumb luck or from the assistance of others every single time? I'm sorry, but how can a writer treat their main character like this? This character seems to learn nothing from her follies. It's a wonder that she hasn't gotten another character killed.

And while I may not know anything about working up a spell to bind yourself up a familiar, even I knew that asking someone else if they wanted to be inside the circle with you when you performed the spell was not a smart move. I actually cheered Anders on when she gave this stupid bitch a dressing down. Holy crap.

I'm afraid to start the third book.

Susie I want to say it gets better, but I totally get people who just call it quits a few books in. I'm not as invested as others are though. I skimmed the latest book and am not monitoring her next one. But I'm glad to know I wasn't the only one irritated with her!

message 3: by Jackie (new)

Jackie Anderson textor Oh the not staying put part was the worst! It made no sense whatsoever. She's not a child or even a teenager. And what was really annoying was I couldn't understand why she was so impatient to get in there in the first place? Didn't mere pictures of a murder crime scene make her sick earlier in the book?

Susie Yes! I just didn't understand the character's choices at all.