Jess Candela's Reviews > An Immovable Solitude

An Immovable Solitude by S.A. McAuley

Jun 05, 2012

bookshelves: favorites, m-m, read-in-2012

This book is out today, and I highly recommend it: it's one of the best books I've read this year. Since this is October, and I read a lot, that's really saying something! Especially since I beta'ed it, so it's presumably even better than when I read it. Sam has said she incorporated many of my suggestions, so how could it not be better? ;) And seriously, it was a breath-taking book to begin with.

The characters are awesome and believable. The setting is unusual and fascinating. Sam has a way of painting images with words that made me feel as if I were right there, seeing, hearing, smelling, tasting, and feeling what the characters were. There were times I loved them, times I wanted to smack them, but always, always, I was right there with them.

This is not a light book, to be read casually. There were times I laughed out loud, times I cried, riding this amazing journey with these incredible characters. This is a book for which you buckle in, knowing you're in for a helluva ride. It's intense and exciting and left me feeling simultaneously wrung out and exhilarated. In the months since I last read it, I've found myself at times thinking about the characters, wondering what they're up to and how they're doing. Only the best books that stay with me like that.

Between this and a short story that is yet-to-be-released, Sam is rapidly becoming one of my favorite authors. She can write, and I wish she'd do so faster because I'm eager to read more of her work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Immovable Solitude.

Dumbledore11214 How is the ending and how angsty is the read? :) Thanks :)

Jess Candela Hmmm... I'm not really sure how to answer that. I just read the last couple of chapters of the final version, so I could see what changes she made, the better to answer. But I'm still not sure what to say...

There's definitely some angst, but I don't think it's Amy Lane level. And it ultimately works out. Even just jumping in at the end now, it left me teary and smiling. But I had some questions earlier on that would affect how I would perceive the ending, and since I don't yet know how she addressed those, it's difficult to say for sure...

Does that make sense? Our tastes are similar enough that it's difficult to imagine you wouldn't at least enjoy it, even if you don't love it as much as I did. But we do diverge in some areas, and I don't yet know how Sam addressed some of my earlier concerns (there were a couple of things that made me want to throw the book across the room, but I'm sure she's changed them).

Dumbledore11214 Something more detailed about the ending will be appreciated heh :). Email me if it is spoilerish? Please? Thanks. Are they dead at the end? (main characters I mean?) Do they stay together at the end? If it is the author I know and trust, I am okay with them not staying together , as long as they are not dead. But I am not taking a chance and for completely new author I want completely happy ending. Thanks :-)

Jess Candela The main characters are still alive at the end, still together, and very much enjoying their HEA. There's a little bitter-sweetness to the ending (hence the teary smile), but it's because of other factors, not their relationship. Their relationship is solid. Does that help?

message 5: by Simsala (last edited Oct 27, 2012 02:18PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Simsala Usually I wouldn`t trust a review coming from the beta. But I must admit you are absolutely right!
Thanks for the review! :D)
(And yes, it does help...)

Jess Candela Oh good, I'm glad it helps! And I think I'm even more glad to know that you don't think I, as a beta, was misleading. :D

I'm looking forward to seeing your thoughts on it! And I'm happy (eager, even) to chat about it if you want. :)

Simsala Thoughts tomorrow - my friend started reading it and already is close to a meltdown...I must lend a shoulder.;-)

Dumbledore11214 Jess (jeayci) wrote: "The main characters are still alive at the end, still together, and very much enjoying their HEA. There's a little bitter-sweetness to the ending (hence the teary smile), but it's because of other ..." It helps a lot :-). Thanks Jess.

Dumbledore11214 Okay, I think my previous comment was spoilerish, sorry Jess.

message 10: by Jess (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jess Candela Dumbledore11214 wrote: "Okay, I think my previous comment was spoilerish, sorry Jess."

?? Not sure what you mean, but no worries in any case...

Except, maybe, about Sandy. How are you surviving out there? Hope you're doing well!

Dumbledore11214 I deleted a comment where I said that I am getting the book even though I was scared by what I read in some negative reviews and I referred to it somewhat, then decided it could be viewed as spoilerish. We are fine thanks , my brother and his family were staying with us for five days - no power and car got destroyed in the flood. They are okay though and got the power yesterday.

message 12: by Jess (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jess Candela Glad you're fine, and your brother's family mostly too. What I've seen has looked pretty horrifying!

You could re-post the comment with spoiler tags... I'm very curious what you'll end up thinking of this story. I totally understand why it bothered some people, particularly since I was bothered by some of those issues myself in the draft I read. I loved it anyway and I know she improved it since then, but clearly it's still an issue for some.

Dumbledore11214 Yes, a lot of people are still without power.

I will email you, not sure how to do spoiler tags here :)

message 14: by Jess (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jess Candela Email's great, but as a general FYI, you do spoiler tags like this: < spoiler >spoiler text< /spoiler > (but without the spaces by the brackets)

Dumbledore11214 Thanks again - sent you two emails - much more spoilers than in deleted comment but I figured I could rant freely in the emails.

message 16: by Jess (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jess Candela Dumbledore11214 wrote: "Thanks again - sent you two emails - much more spoilers than in deleted comment but I figured I could rant freely in the emails."

That's great, and I just replied. Glad to be able to discuss more freely there than we can here, and you know I always love discussing books with you! Which reminds me, I meant to say in my email that I plan to catch up with some of your more recent reviews once I get home... :)