Jay Connor's Reviews > Drift: The Unmooring of American Military Power

Drift by Rachel Maddow

Jul 13, 2012

Read in June, 2012

What ever your position on the FOX – MSNBC political polarity spectrum, I think you would have to agree that Rachel Maddow is the only political talk show host who doesn’t just phone it in and settle back to let the pointy heads yell at each other.

A thorough and intelligent framing of the upcoming subject precedes every one of her interviews or segments. Yes, her slant is liberal and her wit is broad, but at least, she bases her opinions on something of substance approximating reality. I think it is safe to say that she is the only political host with a Doctorate in Politics from Oxford.

As demonstrated by “Drift,” she is also a first class historian and essayist, too.

This is the book and these are the facts that should have outlined our national conversation, such as it was, about Iraq. As “drift” implies, the sorry state we find ourselves in – a muscle-bound, fearful and under-equipped economy – after spending trillions of our national treasure on questionable exploits was not a Republican or Democratic conspiracy. Rather, it is the 50-year result of a great people with self-correcting values, that simply took the easy way – drifted – by not hewing to those values.

In many ways, the upcoming Presidential Election is a distraction to the central question of our times: how do we get our groove back?

We could pursue that question in much worse fashion than by following Maddow’s approach in “Drift:” don’t start with blame; seek to understand the over-arching consequences; follow the money to understand decisions and decision-makers; tether your concept of the ideal future to our country’s core values; buying more of something clearly doesn’t mean better outcomes and get your head out of your butt!
35 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Drift.

06/08 marked as: read