Leah Hortin's Reviews > The 4-Hour Body: An Uncommon Guide to Rapid Fat-Loss, Incredible Sex, and Becoming Superhuman

The 4-Hour Body by Timothy Ferriss

Jun 07, 12

it was ok
bookshelves: kindle, library, food-and-fitness
Read from June 05 to 07, 2012

I'm sort of torn on rating this book... The first half? 4-stars. The second half? 1-star. I ended up just barely skimming it.

It wasn't what I was expecting at all... very science based and more about his various experiments on himself and other athletes than a "plan" to follow. He did do a good job of explaining the science and being as lighthearted as possible with it but still, most of it was over my head... and I have a BS in Biology.

The key take-away (for me): Slow carb diet - to change my body composition, I HAVE to tighten up on the diet. Less carbs, more protein and veggies. I can do that. 1-day a week gorge-fest? I can do that too. It just reinforced what I've sort of known all along but haven't had the willpower to execute. As I type this, I'm on Day 3 of the "diet".

What I cannot get behind is all the supplements, not eating sweet potatoes or chocolate regularly, and of course, all the other extreme ideas that he has sprinkled throughout the book such as cold exposure, significant amounts of supplements and nutrient timing, etc.

The exercise portion of the book doesn't really have a clear guide which is what I was ultimately lookinf for. He's a bit ADD... jumping around between different lifting ideas, running (key take-away: speedwork, tabata, 400's; quality over quantity; minimalist shoes), even dappling with swimming techniques. NFL, Crossfit, Ultra runners. It's all in there and he's tried it all. I got the feeling that he dabbles in it all but has a short attention span so masters none.

Then there was the whole sex chapter that just seemed to be thrown in there for the sensationalism of it. I got nothing out of it but maybe I would if I made my husband read it. Which I won't. Let's also not mention how awkward it was to have a giant vagina picture pop up on my kindle screen while reading at work... Um, yeah. I guess Jerry Seinfeld did warn us on that one, didn't he?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The 4-Hour Body.