Dana Rongione's Reviews > Depth of Deception

Depth of Deception by Alexander Galant

6291998
Jun 05, 2012

Read in May, 2012

I can honestly say that this is one of the best mysteries I've ever read, and I've read a lot of mysteries. The story was intriguing from the very start, and the myriad of characters literally kept me on the edge of my seat. I must admit, however, that by the time I was a third of the way through, I wished I had been making notes to keep track of who the different characters were, how they were related and to which time frame they belonged. There was a lot of information to keep up with, which made the story much more involved but also made it a little harder to keep up with.

Nevertheless, I found that once I had begun, I just couldn't put it down. I thought I had it figured out (and in a way I did), but nothing could have prepared me for the ending. After reading the epilogue, I just sat in stunned silence--that is, after I yelled, "Oh man!" The whole thing was masterfully done, and I'm eager to read the next book by Alexander Galant. (I already read the "sneak peek" at the end of "Depth of Deception." It sounds like another winner.)

For the Christian reader, I must point out that this is not a Christian book and does contain profanity. In the first few chapters, there wasn't any. Then, the author sprinkled a few in here and there. But by the middle of the book, it was constant in every chapter. Being such an avid reader, I've trained myself to skim across curse words without paying them much heed, but if you don't have that ability, you may find the profanity distracting. I, personally, felt it was overused and actually distracted the reader from the plot and characters. That being said, there's a great story if you're willing to overlook the profanity. Normally, I wouldn't even recommend a book with that much profanity, but the story is just awesome, so I do recommend it with the cautionary note about the use (and overuse) or profanity.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Depth of Deception.