Mona's Reviews > A Lady by Midnight

A Lady by Midnight by Tessa Dare

Dec 09, 12

bookshelves: historical-romance
Read in June, 2012

It’s only natural for Kate to wonder about her real family. She has a few vague memories, but nothing more. Corporal Thorne knows about Kate’s past, but acts as if they’re strangers. When some honest-to-goodness relatives track her down, he tries to shield her so she won’t learn the truth about her origins…which aren’t at all pleasant.

This offering in the series felt off to me. I’m not sure if the problem was Corporal Thorne or simply all the secrets he kept, but he was so inflexible and brusque I found it difficult to like him.

Kate seemed drawn to Thorne for all the wrong reasons and their relationship became too complicated to work out. When it did, it didn’t ring true.
As much as I’ve enjoyed the series, these protagonists didn’t draw me in or evoke any empathy. I’m afraid the other characters weren’t dynamic enough to counteract the negative impact of the situation.

I enjoy Tessa Dare’s writing style and she always writes with flair, but I wasn’t feeling it this time. It felt stiff and forced instead of her usual easy flow.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Lady by Midnight.