Jacob Proffitt's Reviews > Vision in White

Vision in White by Nora Roberts

Jun 07, 12

bookshelves: audible, romance, steamy
Read from June 05 to 06, 2012

Whoa, nerd chic! I'm coming to like Nora Roberts' romances. They're quick, engaging, and so far I've really liked the romantic leads even if they aren't always my “type”. I can't really generalize from the whole two books of hers I've read so far, but her steam-level seems to be in the middle of my range, as well.

Mackensie Elliot is a likeable heroine, though I cringe at some of her weaker moments. I really don't get her interactions with her mother and they irritated me no-end. I'm not saying that they are unrealistic or that I can't imagine people caving in to emotional blackmail so readily. Indeed, they're all too realistic and are at the core of who Mackensie is. Her growth during the novel involves both her appreciation of Carter and her learning to overcome the impulse to give in to her mother, so it's an important aspect of the both the internal and external action. I just don't normally like people who are susceptible to that kind of emotional appeal. I have to give it to Roberts for being able to stay true to the character without putting me off in an area of such strong personal preference.

Part of what kept me engaged was the very adorable Carter Maguire. He's a big ole nerd of the academic/literary variety but with a calm emotional core. His fumbling conversational gambits with Mackensie were endearing and revelatory and unguarded in a way that put him right into my heart from the first time we meet him. And when he gracefully navigates a tense encounter with a drunk jerk set on disrupting a reception Mackensie wants so badly to go well? That's a clincher, right there, that is. His determination and inner calm help him maintain the goal of a smooth event just because he knew it meant a lot to Mackensie that all goes well. Gorgeous.

Since this is the first of a quartet, I'm guessing the next novels will pick up with the other partners at Vows. I'm excited to read them.

A note on Steamy: This one was the middle of my steam-range—two sex scenes, graphic and of middling duration. Another scene and/or lengthening the two would have been near the far side of my range. Also, it looks like I'll be doing steam notes on the ends of all my steamy-flagged books. I just can't help myself...
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Vision in White.

06/05/2012