Marsha's Reviews > Snow White Blood Red

1991207
Jun 05, 12

Recommended for: Young Adults and Adults
Read on June 05, 2012, read count: Once

Wow, just wow! "Snow White Blood Red" is an incredibly unique prequel to what I believe will be a great new series that might be as spectacular as Harry Potter. No, do not confuse my meaning. This is not a story about magic or magical beings. It is a story about the truth behind fairy tales. The world building is spectacular, the characters are creepy good, the plot is intriguing and engaging and the writing is simply superb.

First and foremost, you must understand there are immortals living among humans. They are the people behind the fairy tales. They live in the human world and in the dreamworld. However, these fairy tales can change every 100 years when someone powerful chooses to rewrite them in sand. The sand allows only the writer to find them. An immortal can be destroy while dying in the dreamworld and another immortal intervenes. How can another immortal get into the dreams of another? The answer is with the help of a dreamhunter. This information is given to us from the Sandman Grim, Keeper of the fairy tales.

Once the groundwork for this prequel has been set, we are introduced to Snow White's stepmother. However, in reality she really is her birth mother. She is the Queen of Sorrow. She admits she is evil but wants people to know her story and how Snow White is not the sweet innocent character we were led to believe. However, she as well as other fairy tale characters will not reveal their true names to us because names have power as was demonstrated in the tale of Rumplestiltskin.

As the Queen sits at the deathbed of Jacob Grimm she retells the story of Snow White early years and how she became the evil creature she truly is. I will not reveal what or who she is because that would just be too much of a spoiler. However, after retelling the story, the Queen promises more tales are to come, leaving us the reader wanting more.

As I stated earlier this novella was beautiful written and one of the most unique reads I have encountered in quite a while. I cannot wait to read the other tales and look forward to the first book in the series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Snow White Blood Red.

06/05/2012

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Montana Looking forward to your review. :)

Marsha I just finished the book. Wow! This could be the start of an amazing series.

Kat V Harris since I read it, I loved your review. I needed to hear someone say it like that:)

Marsha Well, I cannot wait for book one.