♡Karlyn P♡'s Reviews > Slammed

Slammed by Colleen Hoover

Jun 05, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: genre-ya, heroine-airhead, steam-mild, series-to-be-continued
Read in September, 2012

Wanted to love it, but this is not my kind of romance. Not even for a YA romance.

SLAMMED was angsty teenage love story with a heart wrenching sub-plot, but the heroine made it a very disappointing read. I expected a more mature minded heroine, not an overly emotional girl who thinks a mad boy crush after one date is the 'real thing'. The whole high school giggly student bit was a turn off for me.

I liked Will a lot, and thought his maturity and love for poetry was well portrayed, but I didn't get the connection with Layken. She made dumb choices, said dumb comments, put him at risk, and made everything be about her. Personally, I thought the author did a great job of developing a typical 18 y/o girl, but it only emphasized her lack of maturity as a lead heroine.

This would have worked for me in a more adult setting, but the the teenage angst was over done. At times she was a drama queen only focused on herself, and she had no concept of how others felt. Then other times shes a silly giggly high schooler. Either way, I didn't buy her as a convincing heroine.

The subplot was very good and emotional, but it was great wallpaper only. The romance needs to stand on its own, not be carried by a secondary storyline.

SLAMMED is a teenage girl fantasy romance story, so it doesn't surprise me at how popular it is. But I'd prefer to read about more mature minded couples falling in love, so this one didn't cut it for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slammed.

Wendy Darling Karlyn, have you read Easy yet? I loved that book (no review yet, bleh) and I felt like it delivered many of the things I wanted from this particular book.

I totally agree with your review, btw. I actually liked the book as I was reading yet, but I found it very frustrating, too.

♡Karlyn P♡ Wendy Darling wrote: "Karlyn, have you read Easy yet? I loved that book (no review yet, bleh) and I felt like it delivered many of the things I wanted from this particular book.

I totally agree with your review, btw. I..."

Yes, I LOVED Easy. It is 'easily' (pun intended) my fav YA romance. I read few, but that one worked for me on many levels.

Ah well. I tried. :-)

message 3: by Karla (new) - added it

Karla I love YA, but not all of them work well for me either. Great review KarLyn!

message 4: by Kristen (last edited Sep 24, 2012 07:36AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristen Your thoughts about this books are why I've put off reading this story. I bet I'll feel the same way. Nicely done, KarLyn.

April Avelino Totally agree on your review.

♡Karlyn P♡ Karla wrote: "I love YA, but not all of them work well for me either. Great review KarLyn!"

thanks Karla :-)

♡Karlyn P♡ Kristen wrote: "Your thoughts about this books are why I've put off reading this story. I bet I'll feel the same way. Nicely done, KarLyn."

I realized the last romance I read where the heroine was a high school student was Twilight (about 5 years ago). But in twilight, they weren't pretending to be so adult about their romance. I didn't care for that book either, but at least the romance was more age appropriate (at least in book 1). Argh, no more high school heroines for me!!

message 8: by Kristen (last edited Sep 24, 2012 09:59AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristen I hear ya! YA doesn't work so well for me most of the time. Every now and then I find a book that does, but the drama in most YA drives me nuts. To each their own, as they say.

♡Karlyn P♡ BamaGal wrote: "Good review, KarLyn. Colleen Hoover is one of the few YA authors I've seriously considered reading. It doesn't sound like this one is the place to start, tho..."

Thanks BamaGal, I'd have a hard time recommending this one, but that wouldn't be fair as so many enjoyed it. I guess it depends what you like in a romance, and for me I need a certain level of maturity. That's not to say an 18 yo character can't be a lead in a romance, but this one was not portrayed as a person who was able to act as an adult independently. She was a kid in my mind, so the 'this is real love after one date' trope was an eye roller!

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) Grea review, I keep seeing tis everywhere and I always consider getting it, but I am glad I haven't, I normally find YA hard to like anyways, and after reading your review, I just know I won't like this!

I am checking out Easy though!

♡Karlyn P♡ Suzanne the Mighty ~Satin Seductress~ wrote: "Grea review, I keep seeing tis everywhere and I always consider getting it, but I am glad I haven't, I normally find YA hard to like anyways, and after reading your review, I just know I won't like..."

Thanks Suzanne - For YA romances, I think I need to stick with YA-M (mature) or not at all. High school heroines are just not for me, especially when I am suppose to believe she found her true HEA after only 1 date, and that she will never love another ever again if she can't have him. Wasn't age appropriate or realistic for me.

message 12: by KatLynne (new) - added it

KatLynne I've had this forever on my Kindle but as I'm not a big reader of YA, it's just sitting there. I do have Easy and hope I'll find time to read it soon. As always, Great review KarLyn!

♡Karlyn P♡ KatLynne wrote: "I've had this forever on my Kindle but as I'm not a big reader of YA, it's just sitting there. I do have Easy and hope I'll find time to read it soon. As always, Great review KarLyn!"

I do recommend Easy for the story, characters and writing. They're college age in that book, and the romance age appropriate. But not so with Slammed. If you're not a YA fan (like me), you might have the same reaction as me.

message 14: by KatLynne (new) - added it

KatLynne ♡KarLynP♡ wrote: "KatLynne wrote: "I've had this forever on my Kindle but as I'm not a big reader of YA, it's just sitting there. I do have Easy and hope I'll find time to read it soon. As always, Great review KarL..."

Thanks KarLyn! I'm not a big fan of YA either. I haven't read a lot in this genre because I'm always worried about the maturity level of the characters. I've heard good things about Easy and look forward to reading it soon.

♡Karlyn P♡ KatLynne wrote: "♡KarLynP♡ wrote: "KatLynne wrote: "I've had this forever on my Kindle but as I'm not a big reader of YA, it's just sitting there. I do have Easy and hope I'll find time to read it soon. As always,..."

Cant wait to hear what you think, let me know when you read it!

Clauchu I completely agree, but if you didn`t read point of retreat, i will recommend you do.

Breeze I'm surprised it's rated so high by some readers. Left to assume they haven't read Thoughtless or Beautiful Disaster which are highly recommend as a superior read and story!

♡Karlyn P♡ Hilary wrote: "I'm surprised it's rated so high by some readers. Left to assume they haven't read Thoughtless or Beautiful Disaster which are highly recommend as a superior read and story!"

It's a genre thing, I guess. Readers into YA romances love these kind of books, including an overly dramatic heroine who acts more childish than adult. I have no doubt the 5-star reviews of this book are honest and truly felt by the reader, because somehow these kind of books connected with a lot of readers. For me, I couldn't connect with the heroine enough to care about the romance or story. I blame that on my own preference for preferring adult romances. The new YA-Mature sub-genre tempts me, especially with all of the glowing reviews, but I think I should just steer clear of it. As much as I didn't like BD, I do think it was a better book too. I haven't read Thoughtless yet though, but I might one day. Maybe.

Jennifer Taylor Even though I ranked this 4 stars, I was seriously irritated by Layken. She was incredibly immature even for being 18. She was starting to remind of one of those obsessed student and scary movie. Will was entirely to mature for her at that point. It's such a bummer that didn't tone down the obsessing and the giggling.

Charlotte I totally agree with you. I would have enjoyed this a lot more had Layken been more mature. I truly got tired of her crying and being self centered throughout most of the book. This was not a great read for me. Outta 5 stars I rate it as a 2 or 3.

I cant put my thoughts into words like I want. I truly had a WTH moment when she thought she was in love with a stranger with whom she only had "1" date. She was very immature with the way she handled her emotions--she cried at the drop of a dime over every thing. She could not keep her mouth closed about her interest in WIll and had no consideration of how things could affect him. Then she went to giggly high school girl when he was being very mature explaining why his job was important to him. Will and the mom were the only 2 mature people in this whole book.
I cant believe I read the whole thing since the immaturity level was a big turn off. I did complete it just to see how it would end.

Barbara (VampAngel) YES! Great review. The insta-love almost killed this book for me. It was just too immediate, all this angst after only one date. That bugged the hell out of me. I did enjoy the book, but it wasn't as good as all the 5 stars reviews promised. Easy was a MUCH better read. If you have any other books in the same vein as Easy to recommend to me I would appreciate it. I've read a few very good YA/New Adults books lately and I want more. This one didn't quite do it for me.

Trewen Uhg... i'm reading this right now and trying to decide if it's worth my time to finish!

message 23: by Rima (new) - rated it 2 stars

Rima Just wanted to say that I agree with everything you wrote. The insta-love after just one date, ruined it the most for me, I just didn't believe the so-called 'epic love' they had for each other. Great review!

Brittani Agree- she was too immature but exactly like an 18 year-old.

♥Rachel♥ Sorry this didn't work for you, KarLynP. Not every book will work for every person. Great honest review. :)

message 26: by Crista (new)

Crista Aghh...I have this series in my "sure thing" collection. Maybe it's not a sure thing? Thanks for the honest review.

♡Karlyn P♡ Crista wrote: "Aghh...I have this series in my "sure thing" collection. Maybe it's not a sure thing? Thanks for the honest review."

Hard to say. I know many loved it, but I don't get it. There are OK parts to this story, but as a whole it failed for me. But if you are a big fan of YA, and don't mind heroines who are giggly and a bit of an airhead, this might work for you. :-)

message 28: by Crista (new)

Crista ♡KarLynP♡ wrote: "Crista wrote: "Aghh...I have this series in my "sure thing" collection. Maybe it's not a sure thing? Thanks for the honest review."

Hard to say. I know many loved it, but I don't get it. There ar..."

Hmm? Giggly and airhead are not adjectives that I like associated with my heroines. Might have to think about this one....

message 29: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda i had been wanting to read this for so long. she thought she found her soulmate after one date? urg!

I agree that Easy was a better YA book. I also recommend Pushing the Limits. I'm always in the look out for YA-M too. Haha...

great review, karlyn.

♡Karlyn P♡ Amanda wrote: "i had been wanting to read this for so long. she thought she found her soulmate after one date? urg!

If you like the YA genre, you might want to give it a try. I am in the minority of reviewers when it comes to this book, but YA has never been my cuppa. This isn't a YA-M or NA read though, the sex is pretty mild.

Gabby Thank you for putting my thoughts in words!

Sally Williams Butterfly you.

message 33: by Gaby (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gaby Souza Although I absolutely loved this book I agree with you a bit. However,sometimes looking beyond the characters can help you just to focus on what the message behind it really is. I also think Lake acted childish at some poits but maybe thats the point of the book, she is a 18 year old,thats how most teenagers act anyways, but Will is 21 officially an adult,but what makes him act mature is not his age but the circunstances in life that forced him to grow up.Who could tell that if the situation in his family were different he wouldnt be just as childish as Lake? And in the end the situation she had to face is what would turn her from just a teenager to a mature woman. :-) That is just how I see things. ps.forgive my English.Not my first language.

Kiara My thoughts exactly.

message 35: by Esther (new) - added it

Esther This may have been the most uneventful novel ever read. The two main characters were quite basic and their whole 'love story' was just common and predictable. I just felt like it was so unrealistic. Normally when I read a novel I connect with the characters and understand them and honestly I didn't feel any type of way about Layken or Will. From beginning to end the novel failed to excite me or intrigue me or elicit any emotion from me besides boredom to be brutally honest. All I can say is I'm glad it was short.

Ayesha B see.. I felt like this when I first read the book. But then I realized that Will really did lead her on a lot.. He kept having "weak moments". He told her not to wait on him and yet he didn't like to think she would go out with anyone else. He kept kissing her and then telling her he made a mistake. Right when she is trying to get used to being around him, he does something to make it worse, each time. As much as i feel Layken was immature; i realize the reasons behind her actions.. This is a YA novel.. It's messy. But at that age, no one is perfect. That's what makes this realistic.

Edmund Davis-Quinn I totally adore the book and just flew through it again in a day. And it deals with loss in a way that very, very few YA books do. It's not all romance.