Giselle's Reviews > Spark

Spark by Brigid Kemmerer

Aug 26, 12

bookshelves: arc, ebook, paranormal
Read from August 23 to 24, 2012

In Storm we met four brothers, one friend, and a girl stuck dealing with them. In Spark, we get into the mind of one of these brothers: the reckless and unpredictable Gabriel. Hot like the fire that he's learning to control, we delve deeper into this rough-edged character who shows us the depth and insecurities inside his tough shell.

It took only a couple of sentences before I knew I was going to completely adore Gabriel. He was one character that we didn't get to know a whole lot in Storm, but I immediately felt like I understood him through and through. His character is incredibly complex, filled with grief and self doubt. Besides blaming himself for his parent's death, he's very self conscious of his lack of control on his element. I found him to be an extremely well-rounded and likeable character. His flaws make him who he is; a broken, yet kind and loving guy. I was happy to welcome his brothers back into my life, as well. The family dynamic is, again, one of the best traits of this series. They banter and fight, they disagree but ultimately stay loyal to each other. Each and every one of these guys are so particular with memorable personalities that mesh perfectly together. Even though we only get to see Gabriel's perspective out of all the brothers in this sequel, I still feel like I got to know each of them a bit more. Especially Michael who I'm hoping will get his very own POV in the future as he has quite the fascinating character arc - being the oldest sets him apart some. What we don't get in this installment is more on Chris and Becca. They are present, of course, but this book enters a completely different chapter where they're not front players.

A new character comes into play in Spark. Her name is Layne, and she's a bit... quirky. She's got secrets of her own to go with her inherent unconventional family. She gets her small share of perspective in this novel, letting us into her life and mind. I was attuned to her right away, curious about her hesitations while she's trying to figure Gabriel out. Together, they build a relationship that is true and profound. They seem to fit with each other perfectly; they simply make sense. It's not forced or hasty, it just is. Layne also introduces a whole new family dynamic where Brigid proves again her talent for building strong and true relationships, especially among siblings.

While getting to know Gabriel, we, in turn, get to concentrate on his element - Fire. Therefore, you will see a lot of heat, a lot of destruction, and a whole lot of intense moments. From heartwarming, to gut-wrenching, the emotions flowing from certain scenes in this book really emphasize the art that went into writing it. Not only is it extremely memorable, it shows us how invested we are in not just the main characters, not even just the side characters, but the story "extras" and all. This is how you bring a story to life.

Original, immensely character driven, and absolutely exciting, the Elemental series continues to wow me with the amount of life that shines through it. I strongly urge you to start this series STAT if you haven't already!

An advance copy was provided by the publisher for review.

For more of my reviews, visit my blog at Xpresso Reads

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spark.

08/23/2012
39.0% "God I love this! Even more than the first me thinks. <3 Hunter!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Is it continuing the story from elemental?

Giselle It continuing from Storm, yeah. It's the same series.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Right, got confused on the title of the first book. I'm so happy it's almost out!

Giselle I'm loving it. This one is in Gabriel's POV and it starts not long after where book 1 ends.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Good! I need to re-read Storm this week! I love your reviews btw!

Giselle Thank you! :)

Rachel Yay!!!!!!!!!!! I love this book too! :0

Jasprit Gabriel surprised me a lot in this book too! Look forward to reading your review! :)

Lauren I completely agree! Spark is even more amazing than Storm

message 10: by Ariana (last edited Aug 25, 2012 04:17AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ariana I am so glad that you loved it too. Gabriel is now my favorite of the 4.
BTW, you should read Elemental (0.5), as it is from Michael's POV. I liked it a lot and I got to understand him so much better (too bad it's so short and we know how it ends *sigh*)
Later edit: wonderful review as usual ;)

Giselle Ari wrote: "I am so glad that you loved it too. Gabriel is now my favorite of the 4.

Oh Really? I did not know that. I don't usually read the novellas but I will!! And thank you! :)

Ariana I read it by the middle of Storm as they talked about the past and I was quite curious (yes, that's me, the very curious type :p).
Anyways, I thought you might want to read it as you've mentioned him in the review. I hope you'll enjoy it! ;)

message 13: by Giselle (last edited Aug 25, 2012 04:28AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Giselle Ari wrote: "I read it by the middle of Storm as they talked about the past and I was quite curious (yes, that's me, the very curious type :p).
Anyways, I thought you might want to read it as you've mentioned ..."

Oh you know, I think I may have read it. There was a small short story at the end of Storm (I had the print book), and I think it was Michael. But it was so short. I have to read it again though now that I know him more. I feel I know him more after this sequel than the first. I want a whole book with his POV!! >.<

~Tina~ Awesome review!! I can't wait for the third book!!:)

Giselle ~Tina~ wrote: "Awesome review!! I can't wait for the third book!!:)"

Thanks Tina! And me either!! <3

message 16: by Rane (new) - added it

Rane Wonderful Review Giselle! I wasn't to keen on this series with Storm, but I may have to try at it again

Giselle Thanks Rane! This continues the story but it changes POV, so we don't see much of Becca and Chris, we do see Hunter lots though, but it's Gabriel's story. You could try it. I liked it more than Storm.

Rachel Terrific review Giselle!!!!! I love how this book focuses on family too.

Giselle Thanks Rachel! It's so great and realistic too the way they banter. Glad you enjoyed it too!! <3

Katie he sounds just like me except for the dead parents 4 brothers and being an elemental

Giselle Katie wrote: "he sounds just like me except for the dead parents 4 brothers and being an elemental"

Bahaha!