Sarah's Reviews > Academically Adrift: Limited Learning on College Campuses

Academically Adrift by Richard Arum
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Academically Adrift.

12/07/2013 marked as: shelved-for-later

message 1: by Jane (new)

Jane Interesting...my youngest is done with her freshman year and is taking a year off. I would say that in some ways college has impoverished her by dangling all the worst aspects of adult life (drink, drugs and sex) in front of her instead of instilling a love of learning. She learned that she loved her job (with its structure and lack of freedom to do what she wants!) more than college. Where she'll take that lesson I'm not sure, but I resent paying $30,000 a year for such a poor return on our investment.

message 2: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah Jane wrote: "Interesting...my youngest is done with her freshman year and is taking a year off. I would say that in some ways college has impoverished her by dangling all the worst aspects of adult life (drink,..."

Yeah, Jane, I can see that. I'm on about page 2-3 and it will be slow reading. Getting this book was inspired by a recommendation someone made to me when I shared an article (this one). It's looking pretty fascinating.