Meaghan's Reviews > Brooklyn Zoo: The Education of a Psychotherapist

Brooklyn Zoo by Darcy Lockman

Jul 29, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2012, psychology, memoirs
Read on June 04, 2012

I got this book free from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Excellent career memoir. Darcy Lockman notes that years in graduate school taught her how to be a scholar, but not how to be a therapist. For her training in that area she went through a grueling year-long internship, rotating through various fields of psychotherapy and meeting all the manner of wretched people. She was a psychoanalytically trained therapist accustomed to working with the relatively healthy, so seeing the people in forensic psychology, inpatient settings, etc., was a real eye-opener.

As she learns about what really goes on, so does the reader. I had read a lot of books about psychology and psychotherapy before, as well as having been in therapy myself for years, but I still learned a lot from this book. You also saw Darcy grow as a person during her training year, until by the end of it she had become much more confident and less self-critical. Also noteworthy was how she was able to make unique characters out of her co-workers and supervisors, when a lesser writer would have let them all blur together.

Altogether, quite a prize of a book. I read it in one sitting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brooklyn Zoo.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Sounds good.

Meaghan Got mixed reviews on Amazon. A lot of people loved it but some people really hated it. I think it may have been a kind of personality conflict between reader and author.

Until reading this, I didn't realize they could declare you incompetent to stand trial if they simply thought you were so emotionally fragile that you wouldn't be able to make it through the trial without having some kind of breakdown.

message 3: by Ksenia (new) - added it

Ksenia sounds really interesting!

Meaghan Ksenia wrote: "sounds really interesting!"

That it was.