Wandering Librarians's Reviews > Uglies: Shay's Story

Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

Jun 05, 12

it was ok
bookshelves: action, friendship, romance, realationships, series, serious-issues, ya, dystopia
Read in June, 2012

This is a spinoff of Scott Westerfeld's wildly popular Uglies series. I have to admit that I tried to read Uglies but never got into it. I couldn't get into the culture that Mr. Westerfeld had made, and the characters were not engaging to me. But let's be honest, I'm in the minority because the series has taken off and is super well-known. Also I do like Scott Westerfeld's writing, I LOVED the Leviathan series and I think he's really gifted. This world is just not my thing.

I do like the fact that the haven't done a straight-up adaptation of Uglies to graphic novel, it's neat that they instead decided to elaborate on a secondary character. The artwork was really spot on for the storyline, and some of the double-spreads were really lovely. I just didn't like Shay. I think it goes back to the whole thing where I don't like the world that this is set in. Just a personal preference. Doesn't mean this was bad, just not my cup of tea, though it's a well-made cup. You know?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Uglies.