Gary's Reviews > Life

Life by Keith Richards

2190708
Jun 20, 12

Read from June 05 to 20, 2012

Ok, Keith Richards.... ever since I first heard SATISFACTION on my little portable AM radio....I have loved the Stones. I had to have been 12 years old or so.....

I have listened,and loved their music to the present. I had heard the stories,and knew that drug use, etc.etc. etc. but there was a lot about Keith that I didn't know.

This book thrilled me...parts of it I loved. Parts I found tedious. Parts made me laugh.....other parts really pissed me off .....pissed off at Keith....How could he act like that,and with children.....??????

But I kept going.... and just finished it. In the end , Keith is not a bad bloke, he's quite the mate...... love him or hate him....the man did not have a boring life.

If you are a Stones fan....read this bio. But understand this....it's written as a narrative....like Keith just talks into a tape recorder about his thoughts, his dreams, his wild audaicious behaviors....but in the end the man made music,and he made it quite well.

Worth your time....just stick with it... is all I can say.....

Now on to STEVEN TYLER'S BIO? Stay tuned...... it's the Ed Sullivan show...." A really big show tonight!"

gary

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Life.

06/05/2012 page 50
9.0% 5 comments
06/14/2012 page 233
41.0% 4 comments
show 5 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nancy (new) - added it

Nancy Rossman Thx, Gary. And yes, I am a huge fan so I'll go ahead.

Jeffrey Keeten I liked the Steven Tyler autobio as well. Be warned Tyler is no teddy bear. Rock stars tend to act like rock stars. I had a good chuckle reading the reviews of people who are first exposed to "the warm and fuzzy" Steven on American Idol and then they read his book and go "yuck".

message 3: by Gary (last edited Jun 20, 2012 12:55PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gary I saw Steven Tyler and Aerosmith in Concert in Houston , Texas over Christmas Break. I was in college. I think it was 1980 or 81. They all could barely hold their heads up.They could barely play. I was there with a group of people. We left early due to the poor performace,and to beat the rush of traffic in Houston, after the concert was over. It was a terrible concert. They were so braindead, either tripping out on God knows what.....or quite the buzz from Pot or something.... and I was deaf for 3 days afterwards.... Not a good experience.... but loved their music for years..... I know Steven was quite the wild thing....so, I am prepared for the worst! Thanks tho!

message 4: by sckenda (new)

sckenda Thanks Gary. I certainly appreciate the eclectic nature of your reading. I heard really good things about Keith's auto and Patti Smith's autobiography. Apparently these rockers who know how to write a song can also write their life story as well.

message 5: by Gary (last edited Jun 20, 2012 01:23PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gary Patti Smith and Robert Mapplethorpe book? Just Kids?

message 6: by Steve (new)

Steve You were precociously cool with your musical taste, Gary. Thinking back to when I was 12, it may still have been The Archies for me -- or maybe The Monkees.

Gary I liked the Monkies too, but I started early reading "adult" type books,and being interested in music,and movies well above my age..... terrified my mother..... she burned my copy of THE EXORCIST. I just bought a new one and read it at school.

My oldest son was the same way.... chip off the old block. it basically started when I was in 6th grade. Same for him......

message 8: by Steve (new)

Steve So what does a reader ahead of his years go for in middle age? Hope it's not funeral home brochures. ;-) Actually, we know different. Rock on, Gary.

message 9: by Will (new) - added it

Will Byrnes I played in a band one summer, for an NYU frat. All we did was Stones. What joy!

I have Life among the many piles at home and will get to it eventually.

message 10: by Gary (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gary Will wrote: "I played in a band one summer, for an NYU frat. All we did was Stones. What joy!

I have Life among the many piles at home and will get to it eventually."

I have the Greatest hits called 40 Licks, on Double cd. Also Some Girls, Exile on Main Street,and Sticky fingers. I listened to those the whole time while I read the book. In fact, one cool day, I sat on the deck most of the day reading, while grilling Pork steaks,and sipping iced tea, then beer in the evening, after dark,and a thunderstorm hit. I watched the lightning roll in while reading LIFE with a booklight.

Anyway, it was great fun!

message 11: by Will (new) - added it

Will Byrnes It has been so long that most of my Stones music is still on vinyl. Haven't actually listened to it for a long time. But I expect that when I get around to the book, I will crank some of it up. Time is on my side.

Highly charged image of reading with the lightning crackling all around. Hope it was not a shocking read.

message 12: by Gary (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gary I have all my records,and my dad's too. I still listen to my vinyl.....but have favs on cds to save the wear on the records........vinyl has come back,and you can get record players now. I have two!