Shelleyrae at Book'd Out's Reviews > Trapped

Trapped by Kevin Hearne

Oct 30, 12

bookshelves: arc-are, netgalley-reviews
Read from October 29 to 30, 2012 — I own a copy

The Iron Druid Chronicles is a favourite urban fantasy series of mine. Debuting in 2011, Books 1 through to 4 were published in quick succession so it feels like it has been a long wait for Trapped, the fifth installment, featuring Atticus, Oberon, Granuaile and a host of mythical figures.

Trapped begins twelve years after the events of Tricked (the gap broken by Hearne's short story Two Ravens and One Crow), just as Atticus is ready to complete Granuaile's binding. Before it can begin, they are interrupted by a Slavic thunder god fleeing a freed Loki whose release from captivity is said to herald the start of Ragnarok - the burning of the earth. Atticus's adventure into the realm of the Norse Gods (in Hammered) and making an enemy of Hel - the Goddess of the Dead (in Tricked), as well as various Roman and Greek Olympian gods, seems to have brought forward the prophesied apocalypse and he is ordered to fix it by Odin and Frigg. What follows is a frantic game of hide and seek as Atticus tries to avoid being sucked dry by vampires, assassinated by dark elves, torn apart by vengeful Gods and revealing his true feelings for Granuaile so he can finish initiating the first new Druid bound to Gaia in more than a thousand years.

Action packed and fast paced, I still adore Hearne's twists on mythology and the manner in which he involves them all in the series from North American Indian skinwalkers to the fae of celtic lore and and introduces yet more - in this case the Svartalfar, or dark elves. The plot of Trapped is fairly complex as Atticus and Granuaile are the targets of many, all with differing agenda's and not able to trust anyone fully, except each other.

Atticus is a fantastic yet flawed character. Often arrogant and sometimes selfish his actions come back to haunt him in this installment and he is has some serious penance to do. To his credit, Atticus takes responsibility for his poor choices and does what he can to make amends, even at the risk of his own life. The romance that sparks to life with Granuaile is not unexpected and I'm glad it has finally blossomed though I am not sure The Morrigan is going to be too impressed when she figures it out. It was great to witness Granuaile finally come into her own in Trapped - she surpasses her master in may ways and proves to be formidable partner in battle. Oberon is, of course, his usual lovable self, often more quick-witted than both of his human companions (and always craving bacon).

Originally, Hearne planned The Iron Druid Chronicles as a six book series, I sincerely hope he has changed his mind because I couldn't bear to think that the next book will be the last for Atticus, Granuaile and Oberon. If you enjoy urban fantasy I highly recommend this series though it's not one you can join midstream so start with Hounded, you won't be sorry.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Trapped.

Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian Great review! I'm so excited to get to it.

Shelleyrae at Book'd Out Thanks! Love Atticus!