Naganika's Reviews > A Night Like This

A Night Like This by Julia Quinn

Jun 05, 12

Read in June, 2012

Is this really the same author I enjoyed reading all of her 28 books in a month after her Bridgerton series? She introduced me to the world of Historical romance and I didn't find a more witty author till date. But what went wrong with this one? Well...EVERYTHING!!

So, was the book funny?

Were the characters endearing?
No (with the exception of Frances and Harriet)

Were there solid supporting characters?
No!! (both the mothers portrayed in the book didn't even come close to the Dowager Lady Bridgerton)

Did you even manage to find a hint of strong bonds of friendship ?
NOOOO (The characters of Hugh and Marcus were so badly written....the weight she hoped to ascribe to Hugh for her next novel(??)...didnt even hold my interest!. All that thing about Hugh making the gentlemanly(!#!?) deal with his father about killing himself..well didn't sound gentlemanly at really was sissy!)

Was the heroine gutsy, bright and enchanting??
NO..NO...NOOOOOOO (A weaker character..I have not seen!!)

Was the hero smart, witty, funny n strong??
Well, may be! But strong? Nahhh...silly n sissy!!!

Was there a past that had a great bearing on the story?
Well...there definitely was a PAST..for both the hero n heroine...while the hero's had a depth to has been treated too lightly...n the opposite stands true for the heroine's past.....on the whole, a completely flimsy basis for a book to carry on.

Was there an evil villain??
Well..evil definitely..but Villain??? I don't think so...the character sketch was so flimsy and irrational..even calling George mad didn't make up for an explanation. And what was that about the great revelation she had about him not consummating his marriage???? Where did that come from and what did it lead to?? NOWHERE!!!

The book in short can claim to be a dish which has all the ingredients mentioned in a recipe...with not one but ALL of the ingredients either spoiled, outdated or put in excessive/short measures..n leaves you wondering whatever happened to your most favorite and consistent of cooks in the world!!!!
14 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Night Like This.