Tammy's Reviews > Widowmaker

Widowmaker by Elena Gray

Jun 20, 12

bookshelves: horror
Read from June 04 to 13, 2012

When I read the unique summary for this story, I just had to read it. I am a horror movie buff which I'm sure does not surprise anyone who reads my reviews. Not only was this story promising the horror i love, it also combined the two mediums I use to get my horror fix; books and movies. What could possibly go wrong?

Well not much did go really wrong, the story read well and was fast paced; it did indeed provide a unique plot that had me wondering what the hell was going on and had copious amounts of gore. Gore!

Before I go further, here is the summary from the book; Terror in the Trees, the latest uber-low budget slasher flick is slaying people... literally. But is it all hype or is there an evil force behind the supposed deaths? Special Agent Bolder had best find out before the President attends the Hollywood premiere...

We start the story in line to see Terror in the Trees. The line is long and the first group of movie-goers are already down in the theater watching. Three friends waiting for their turn are listening to the screams from the audience and bouncing with excitement while exchanging horror movie tidbits and trivia when suddenly hell breaks loose in the theater. People are busting out the windows, bleeding and screaming. Chaos erupts as police and medics arrive and try to help. A great beginning as far as I'm concerned. It speaks to the creepy side of my personality that enjoys unexpected chaos and doom in my entertainment.

Enter our main characters. The FBI agent who chose white collar crime after a horrific experience as an undercover agent. The woman who left him at the alter years ago who is now the chief PR agent with the movie studio that bought the rights to Terror in the Trees and a college student working on his Masters in cinema who has a theory as to why this movie has caused so much bloodshed.

They become unlikely allies as the try and stop the movie from premiering with and audience of celebs and even the President.

As I hinted earlier, I did enjoy much of the read but found I only connected/liked one character, I also found the underlying 'cause' of the violence to be way over the top and a few scenes were just ridiculous. Even for horror.

All in all I will recommend this to horror buffs. It is bloody fun. I also really like Elena Gray and other works from her. This was a bit different from her usual but i appreciated it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Widowmaker.