Nicola's Reviews > Summer Rental

Summer Rental by Mary Kay Andrews

Jun 08, 12

bookshelves: 2012-books, challenge-books
Read from June 04 to 06, 2012

** spoiler alert ** To me this just squeaked in the third star - maybe.
While it was a light, fun read, and I wasn't really expecting much from it, it still fell a little flat. The characters were well-defined and likeable to start. The setting was beautiful, and the idea of 4 high school friends getting away from their troubles for a month intrigued me. I would love to escape like that!
The secrets and history of the girls was slowly, and appropriately revealed. Ellis still has not gotten over her marriage. Dorie is struggling with unexpected changes in her marriage. Julia is coming to terms with the fact that her modelling career may be over. Then there is Madison/Maryn the stranger invited into their midst that brings that little bit of danger (realistic? I am still not sure?). All of these story lines are good, and well matched to the character that has been created.
But then - we have women pretending to be younger than they are. Friends only admitting half-truths. Women denying their own personal feelings. Throw in a confused landlord, a homosexual husband, the perfect man and a deranged maniac. Hmm - could be interesting.
However, everything then becomes rushed and and incomplete. The landlord realizes he is not over his marriage, but hey Ellis cures that instantly. The model finally admits her guy is perfect AND lands the perfect job accidentally. The cottage is saved with one phone call - and filming starts right away! The homosexual decides he wants to be the perfect dad - gets a new job, provides for his wife and accepts his decisions, all in one phone call. And of course the bad guy is caught and no one is seriously injured!
They live happily ever after! I think there would have been a more interesting and believable way to get there - maybe that third star really isn't earned, but I had to finish my review quickly!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Summer Rental.