Ellen's Reviews > Hush: An Irish Princess' Tale

Hush by Donna Jo Napoli

Jun 17, 12

bookshelves: written-reviews
Read from June 12 to 17, 2012

This was a lovely story. It is based on an Icelandic folk tale. It is about an Irish princess named Melkorka that ends up being abducted in the process of her family trying to keep her safe. Now Donna Jo Napoli does a wonderful job at retelling fairytale stories. I love the twist she puts on the classic tales. If you are looking for a happy ending be warned this may not be a book for you.
Melkorka was a princess that turned into a slave. In the story you really get a good look at different types of culture. Melkorka choose to become a mute under her new settings and you got to see her views grow and developed throughout the story.
‘HUSH’ was a heartbreaking tale that made me hurt alongside Melkorka. The only reason that I cannot give ‘HUSH’ five stars is because I felt that the beginning was drawn out. I felt that some of the pages used for the beginning could have been used to answer the loose ends at the end of the story. Now people have said this story doesn’t end like most fairy tales but I think for that reason I was drawn into it. This was a great fairytale/historical-fiction read and I recommend it for anyone.
Now I’m off to research a little more into the historical events that were presented.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hush.