Christian Fiction Addiction's Reviews > Five Miles South of Peculiar

Five Miles South of Peculiar by Angela Elwell Hunt

Angela Hunt has long impressed me as an author who can take seemingly ordinary characters and soon have them feeling like friends and people I genuinely care about. In Five Miles South of Peculiar, she again succeeds at bringing to life the three Caldwell sisters Darlene, Carlene and Magnolia, with their misunderstandings, humorous interactions, and desires to make a difference in the world and be loved for who they are. Although I didn't love this book as much as her Fairlawn Series (that one remains my favourite!), she has offered another strong addition to the contemporary fiction realm, providing a skilfully written story that not only entertains but provides surprisingly deep wisdom as well. Nolie, the youngest Caldwell girl, especially surprised me with her insights into life, and her ability to accept others where they were at while pointing them to God at the same time. Out of all of the characters, she was my favourite, and I found myself practically cheering at the completely deserved and happy ending she experiences (I won't give away more for fear of spoiling the plot). Her sisters are also endearing in their own way, and together the healing and reconciliation these sisters experience make for a moving read.

The end of the book provides a satisfying conclusion for all of the characters, and I found myself pondering the deep treasures hidden throughout the book, the message of forgiveness that permeates this story. Angela Hunt has spun a tale that we can all find hints of ourselves in, and come away the richer for having spent time with the Caldwell sisters.

I highly recommend this novel and award it 4.5 out of 5 stars.

Book has been freely provided courtesy of the publisher, Howard Books, for the purposes of this unbiased review. The opinions provided are my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Five Miles South of Peculiar.