Ronna's Reviews > Yes, Chef

Yes, Chef by Marcus Samuelsson

Jul 28, 12

bookshelves: first-reads
Read from July 05 to 27, 2012

I've been a long time fan of the cooking channels, so when I saw this book by a chef I've admired because of his story and cooking skills, I was thrilled to read this book.  'YES CHEF' does more than just NOT disappoint, it was a mind opening and heart rendering story of skill, talent, and determination.

Marcus Samuelsson was born in Ethiopia where he contracted TB with his Mom and sister.  His mom walked many miles to get her children medical treatment, only to die of TB herself.  At two years of age, Marcus survived TB and was taken in by a nurse.  Desperately wanting a son, a Swedish family adopted Marcus and his sister.  In Sweden, Marcus began his life of diversity as a black child in a white family, but more importantly, he began his love of food and cooking while helping his grandmother in the kitchen.

Thus begins this very informative and emotional look into the life of a great chef, and a groundbreaking winning chef no less!  Marcus tells how he made his way around the world, learning about new foods.  How he tasted and tweaked recipes, writing down all his ideas and experiences along his travels. As a black chef, he had to prove his value to any restaurant. Along the way, he made good friends and a couple of difficult relationships.

This story of a poor sick orphan boy who worked, tasted and cooked his way into top cooking shows like Top Chef and Chopped, cooked in the White House for the President of the USA, and opened one of the first fine dining restaurants in revitalized Harlem, is a must read for any foodie!  'YES CHEF' would be interesting just because of it's factual information, but it actually reads like a fast passed novel! A spectacular read!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Yes, Chef.

message 1: by Susan (new) - added it

Susan Hi Ronna, I was considering this book and wondered if you are enjoying it. We learned a bit about Marcus when he was a contestant on The Next Iron Chef.

Ronna Susan----the book hasn't arrived as yet, but I will surely let you know how it reads after I receive it. His life story was also on 'Foodagraphy' and it TRUELY was fascinating. His food choices have also looked yummie! I too saw him on Next Iron Chef. When I saw he'd written a book, I was quit interested, and was fortunate enough to receive one of the 'firstreads' copies.

message 3: by Susan (new) - added it

Susan Ronna, yes please do let me know your reaction to this memoir. I agree his food does look tasty. Thanks for the info on Foodagraphy; I'll see if it is still available.

message 4: by Susan (new) - added it

Susan Ronna, thanks for this detailed review. I thought I would enjoy this book and based on your comments, I will be sure to put it on my "to read" list.