Bri's Reviews > Easy

Easy by Tammara Webber

Jun 04, 2012

bookshelves: romance, pierced-tattooed-hotties-gimmeh, supposed-to-make-me-swoon-boys, new-adult, favorites, book-boyfriends, 2012-favorites, best-of-2012-recs, recs-for-jamiej
Read from July 26 to 27, 2012 , read count: 2

Before I leave an in depth review, I'mma read this again. Right now. If that doesn't tell you how much I loved it, the fact that I stayed up till 3am reading should.

***complete review added***

This was my second book in the New Adult genre, and I am still just as stoked for it as I was after reading Sam Cruz. I love everything about the genre. I love the age range, I love the realness of the situations and the characters and interactions and speech. I love the intimate scenes. I love how this time is usually about new experiences in love and life.

Easy was no exception to that.

We dive in immediately with Jacqueline, and I'm not going to lie...the first chapter was hard to read. If you have triggers regarding non-consensual sex, this book is not going to be for you. (and no, you may not just skip the first chapter and read the rest. Trust me.) For those who can handle it, you'll be sucked in. It's powerful and scary and brilliantly written. It had me on the edge of my seat, as scared as Jacqueline was.

One of the things I liked about this book was that the rape wasn't the main focus of the book. True, it was a starting point for every other thing that happened, but it wasn't the only thing that the characters focused on.

I can't lie and say the reason I loved this book wasn't Lucas. He was the reason I was head over heels for it. First of all, let me just paint a picture for you:

“Ooh, J, he’s got ink, too,” Erin murmured appreciatively. “Just when I didn’t think he could get any hotter...”

My eyes fell to his forearms, flexing as he sliced the bag open. Tattooed designs wrapped around his wrists, contiguous symbols and script running up both arms and disappearing into the sleeves of the gray knit shirt, which were shoved above his elbows. I’d never seen him without his sleeves pulled to the wrists. Even Saturday night, he’d worn long sleeves—a faded black button-down, open over a white t-shirt.

***

When he drew the hoodie over his head, his white t-shirt pulled up a bit with it, and I got my answer on how far the tattoos extended. Four lines of script, too small to read, snaked around his left side. Some sort of Celtic-looking design balanced it on the right. Bonus: I now knew what Erin meant by lickable abs.

The hoodie joined the cap, and his t-shirt fell back into place. Picking up the sketchbook and pencil, he turned to me, and I noted that the ink on his forearms continued over his biceps and under the short sleeves of his shirt.

Have I mentioned the piercing?

I felt an impulse to bring my fingertips to his face and trail them over his freshly shaven jaw, the sexy scruff from yesterday gone. His skin wouldn’t redden mine now if he kissed me, hard. I would feel nothing but his mouth on mine—and maybe that slim ring at the edge of his lip…

Sold yet?

Lucas was protective and dark and intense and quiet and sweet and broody and swoony and...just...UNF. He's managed to climb his way up to be tied with Etienne. As in, Etienne of Anna and the French Kiss.

I'm not messing around.

After I'd stayed up so late reading, I had the immediate urge to re-read, thinking I'd be able to leave a better review after doing so. Unfortunately, I think it was my downfall. I'm still keeping this rating at 5 stars, because any book that keeps me up until 3am to finish it and has me thinking about it again the minute I wake up is obviously doing something right. It resonated with me like so few books manage to do.

I will say, though, that rereading made me focus on things that I was too wrapped up in the story the first time to notice. Small details that may not bother the average reader, but bothered me. These aren't spoilery per se, but if you don't see me bitch about them, they might not register at all, so I'm tagging them as such... (view spoiler)

Besides those nitpicky things, I was engaged so entirely with this book that I did little else than read and read and read. The ending about broke my heart and made me love Lucas all the more. He was perfection (even when he wasn't perfect), and I loved everything about him.

I would recommend this to any and everyone who does not have rape triggers. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Let me just leave a little something here for you...

Eyes blazing, he looked down at me. “Jacqueline?”

I blinked. “Yes?”

“The night we met—I’m not like that guy.” His jaw was rigid.

“I know tha—” He placed a finger over my lips, his expression softening.

“So I don’t want you to feel pressured. Or overpowered. But I do, absolutely, want to kiss you right now. Badly.” He trailed his finger over my jaw and down my throat, and then into his lap.

I stared at him. Finally comprehending that he was waiting for a response, I said, “Okay.”

He dropped the pad onto the floor and the pencil followed, his stare never unlocking from mine. As he leaned over me, I felt a heightened awareness of every part of my body that touched a part of his—the edge of his hip pressed to mine, his chest sliding against mine, his fingers tracing from wrists to forearms and then framing my face. He held me in place, lips near my ear. When he kissed the sensitive spot, my breath shuddered. “You’re so beautiful,” he whispered, moving his mouth to mine.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Easy.

Quotes Bri Liked

Tammara Webber
“His breath in my ear, he ran his tongue along the curved edge, sucking the fleshy lobe and my small diamond stud into his mouth, and my eyes drifted closed while I babbled a weak sound of longing.”

Tammara Webber
“His hands reached for me, gripping my hipbones and pulling me forward. he stared down at me, his voice low. "There are some things I will make time for, Jacqueline.”

Tammara Webber
“He took one of my hands in his, and I brought the other to his face, wondering how his eyes could look like chipped ice and still warm me to my core.”

Tammara Webber
“The night we met—I'm not like that guy." His jaw was rigid.
"I know tha—" He placed a finger over my lips, his expression softening.
"So I don't want you to feel pressured. Or overpowered. But I do, absolutely, want to kiss you right now. Badly.”

07/26/2012
6.0% "If you switch to "two weeks ago," a little warning for when we're present would be nice. :-/"
07/26/2012
9.0% "As much as I'm already liking this, I know this is gonna make my blood boil."
07/26/2012
14.0% "The emails have me grinney."
07/26/2012
30.0% "God. That scene. I mean...jeeeeeeeeeeeezus."
07/26/2012
44.0% "UNF. Show me the tattoos Lucas. And then make out like a boss."
07/26/2012
67.0% "And black framed glasses, too? Jesus, he's like every girl's wet dream."
07/27/2012
96.0% "Oh, my heart."
07/27/2012
100.0% "Amazing book is amazing. Tired as fuck, though." 2 comments

Kristen I look forward to your full review.

Kristen Perfectly said, Bri. I never thought about the Harley but you're so right. Lol.

message 3: by Bri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bri Kristen wrote: "Perfectly said, Bri. I never thought about the Harley but you're so right. Lol."

One of those seemingly insignificant things that always seem to stand out to me. LOL!

Stacee Holy shit. 5 stars? I need to get this ASAP.

message 5: by Bri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bri Stacee wrote: "Holy shit. 5 stars? I need to get this ASAP."

Stacee Bri wrote: "Stacee wrote: "Holy shit. 5 stars? I need to get this ASAP."

ikr? Also, let it be known that I DO give 5 star ratings once in a while. hahaha"

I'm sure you do. I just think this is one of the first ones I've seen. :P

message 7: by Bri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bri Stacee wrote: "Bri wrote: "Stacee wrote: "Holy shit. 5 stars? I need to get this ASAP."

I'm sure you do. I just think this is o..."

I've done a whopping SEVEN this year. ;)

Christina Great review, Bri. I was doing a lot of the nodding. :)

message 9: by Bri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bri Christina wrote: "Great review, Bri. I was doing a lot of the nodding. :)"

Thanks, bb <3

message 10: by Mugglemom08 (new) - added it

Mugglemom08 I think I've missed something--what is New Adult?

message 11: by Bri (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bri Mugglemom08 wrote: "I think I've missed something--what is New Adult?"

A new genre they're expecting to boom. Mature YA, basically. Deals with late HS through college age.

message 12: by Mugglemom08 (new) - added it