Monique's Reviews > The Weight of Silence

The Weight of Silence by Heather Gudenkauf

Jun 04, 12

bookshelves: wanksters-one-star-books
Read in June, 2012

Frustrating, frustrating..been trying for days to finish this book because my heart just wasnt in it..After a few chapters the story really didnt grasp my attention but I was curious on the book's big questions: "Why doesnt Calli talk? What happened in the woods? So I read on, all the questions were answered but the book failed to me on so many levels..The premise, a selective mute girl who hasnt spoken a single word in three or four years (there are instances where her mom says three and others say four--oh well who cares) and on one eerie morning she is missing from her room along with her best friend..The book chronicles the search for the girls, digresses in old unrequited love and a sad description for an alcoholic (I am sorry but I didnt believe anything about the Griff character, he seemed silly and poorly drawn --disappointing) So this is basically what the book is about and it takes pages and pages to come to the answer which is unfulfilling and just not worth it..I have read some great books so it hurts to read a lackluster novel and they drag on and on for me..Not recommended as the child narrators are weak, the suspense factor is high but the reveal is a letdown and the foreshadowing in the book on every new development is overkill for such an unsubstantiated suspect..I dont know I cant recommend this and if I read another one-star book this year I will scream!! :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Weight of Silence.