Jessica's Reviews > The Twilight of American Culture

Jun 04, 12

bookshelves: social-and-political-philosophy
Recommended to Jessica by: thenewinqury.com
Read on June 04, 2012

Morris Berman offers a summary of the decline of American culture and paths forward - a reassertion of Enlightenment values tempered with the good parts of postmodernity.

His summary of what is wrong with America is by now well known - the dismal state of public education, the corporatization of the university, the globalized wealthy elite that can make money without really even trying while the middle class disintegrates and the poor get poorer, the insolvency of America's fiscal policy.

Very good stuff. He doesn't offer much in the way of solutions, though this is more telling of how hard the problem is. And the text itself offers plenty of other readings to jump into.

It may be my youth talking and the age of the text itself, but I think Berman underestimates the potential of the internet itself as a way forward. Though I agree fully when he says that the internet / hyperreality is only a means to the good life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Twilight of American Culture.