Jeanine's Reviews > The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

Jun 05, 2012

bookshelves: books-i-can-t-live-without, books-that-make-you-go-awe
Read from June 04 to 05, 2012

Wow! Wow! and WOW! Amazing! Brilliant! How in the world some people gave The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer a one-star rating is beyond me. This book is a freaking masterpeice! I loved every minute of it and only put it down when I absolutely HAD to.

Mara is shell-shocked from an accident that claimed the lives of her best friend, boyfriend, and boyfriend's sister, but left her physically unharmed. She's been diagnosed with PSTD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder), and has no recollection of that tragic night. Upon Mara's request, her parents move Mara and her two brothers away from their home in Rhode Island to Florida in hopes that Mara will be able to put the past behind her.
Starting a new life isn't easy for anyone, especially Mara who has hallucinations of her dead boyfriend and his sister, among other things. To make matters worse, she finds herself fallig for the hottest guy in school, which is not the best idea since Noah's reputation rivals that of a unpaid male-prostitute. But the heart wants what the heart wants, and it turns out that Noah is just the person to help Mara uncover the truth that her mind has worked so hard at burrying in the deep confines of her mind.

There is SO much to this book. In fact, I am cutting this review short since I am hooked and need to know when the second installment to this series will be released. For those of you who have been deterred from reading The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer due to some of the poor ratings it has recieved, please give it a chance; I can almost promise that you will not be dissapointed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer.

Quotes Jeanine Liked

Michelle Hodkin
“You want me as much as I want you. And all I want is you."
My tongue warred with my mind. "Today," I whispered.
Noah stood slowly, his body skimming mine as he rose. "Today. Tonight. Tomorrow. Forever.”

Michelle Hodkin
“Wait," I said as Noah slipped a book from a shelf and headed toward the door. "Where are you going?"
"To read?"
But I don't want you to.
"But I need to go home," I said, my eyes meeting his. "My parents are going to kill me."
"Taken care of. You're at Sophie's house."
I loved Sophie.
"So I'm...staying here?"
"Daniel's covering for you."
I loved Daniel.
"Where's Katie?" I asked, trying to sound casual.
"Eliza's house."
I loved Eliza.
"And your parents?" I asked.
"Some charity thing."
I loved charity.
"So why are you going to read when I'm right here?”

Michelle Hodkin
“In my rush, I hadn’t tied my shoelaces. Noah was now tying them for me.
He looked up at me through his dark fringe of lashes and smiled. The expression on his face melted me completely. I knew I had the goofiest grin plastered on my lips, and didn’t care.
“There,” he said as he finished tying the laces on my left shoe. “Now you won’t fall.”
Too late.”

Michelle Hodkin
“I was warned about you, you know."
And with that half-smile that wrecked me, Noah said, "But you're here anyway.”

Michelle Hodkin
“Did I just see you litter?'
'I'm driving a hybrid. It cancels out.”

Michelle Hodkin
“Noah shifted on the bed, and the oddest crunching sound came underneath him. I looked, really looked, at the bed for the first time.

"What," I asked slowly, as I eyed the animal crackers strewn all over it, "the hell?"

"You were convinced they were your pets," Noah said, not even trying to suppress his laughter. "You wouldn't let me touch them.”

Michelle Hodkin
“You're the girl who called me an asshole the first time we spoke. The girl who tried to pay for lunch even after you learned I have more money than God. You're the girl who risked her ass to save a dying dog, who makes my chest ache whether you're wearing green silk or ripped jeans. You're the girl that I--" Noah stopped, then took a step closer to me. "You are my girl.”

Michelle Hodkin
“And just like that, I was completely, utterly, and entirely,
His.”

Michelle Hodkin
“You like me,” he finally said. “You like me, like me.” He was trying not to smile.
“No. I hate you,” I said, hoping that saying it would make it so.
“And yet, you draw me.” Noah was still smug, completely undeterred by my declaration.
This was torture; worse somehow than what just happened, even though it was only the two of us. Or because it was only the two of us.
“Why?” he asked.
“Why what?” What could I say? Noah, despite you being an asshole, or maybe because of it, I’d like to rip off your clothes and have your babies. Don’t tell.”

Michelle Hodkin
“He would kiss me, right now, after everything I'd done. I was poison, and Noah was the drug that would make me forget it.”

“Where are you going?”
“My God, you’re like the plague.”
“A masterfully crafted, powerfully understated, and epic parable of timeless moral resonance? Why, thank you. That’s one of the nicest things anyone’s ever said to me,” he said.
“The disease, Noah. Not the book.”
“I’m ignoring that qualification.”

Michelle Hodkin
“Fix me," I commanded him. "This thing, what I've done - there's something wrong with me, Noah. Fix it."

Noah's expression broke my heart as he brushed my hair from my face, and skimmed the line of my neck. "I can't"

"Why not?" I asked, my voice threatening to crack.

"Because," he said, "You're not broken.”

Michelle Hodkin
“There's nothing I want. There's nothing I can't do. I don't care about anything. No matter what, I am an imposter. An actor in my own life.”

Michelle Hodkin
“This changed nothing. Nothing at all. Noah Shaw was still a whore, still an asshole, and still painfully out of my league. This was my inner mantra, the one I repeated on a loop until Noah tilted his head and spoke.
"You coming in?"
Yes. Yes I was.”
Michelle Hodkin, The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

Terry (Ter05 TwiMoms/ MundieMoms) Due to your raving, I will give this one a try. LOL

Michele (Reading Lark/CanadianTwiMom) SOLD!!!!!!!!!! I'm really looking forward to reading it now that you loved it so much! Good review, Jeanine!!

message 3: by Jeanine (new) - added it

Jeanine I SOOOO loved it! I can't wait for you two to read it... I am in love with Noah :)

Michele (Reading Lark/CanadianTwiMom) Sounds like you might be sharing him when we read it! ;)

message 5: by Jeanine (new) - added it

Jeanine I figured as much. Lol

♡Meme♡Reads love♡ Sounds sweet cant wait to read it! :)

Liberty Just finished reading this book and WOW!! it was so good I couldnt stop reading can't wait to read the next one....and NOAH SHAW words just can't describe how much I love him ! .....

message 8: by Jeanine (new) - added it

Jeanine So glad you loved it, Liberty! You won't be disappointed with the next one. There is somewhat of a cliff-hanger, but the third one is out soon.