Alanna's Reviews > Left for Dead: My Journey Home from Everest

Left for Dead by Beck Weathers

Jun 04, 12

Read in June, 2012

After finishing Into Thin Air I was thirsty for more about the 1996 Everest expedition. While it was interesting to see how this experience ultimately helped save Weathers' marriage, it's just not a very well written book. I wanted it to be deep and insightful and full of details, but it wasn't really any of these things. It sort of felt like someone had written down one of his motivational talks and then added bits and pieces from his wife and kids along the way. Also, there were lots of jokey things-- especially puns-- that probably reflect Weathers' sense of humor, but somehow it's just not very funny when you're reading it (even though I suspect that if I'd heard it out loud, I would have been laughing).

Anyway, not a great book, but whatever. It's always interesting to read about someone's rotten marriage and appreciate how happy I am with my marriage, so I guess this is a good one for helping you count your blessings! (And then there's the added bonus that I'm not trapped freezing on the tallest mountain in the world left for dead. That's definitely another thing to be grateful for...)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Left for Dead.