Christina's Reviews > A Wind in the Door

A Wind in the Door by Madeleine L'Engle

Oct 20, 08

bookshelves: fiction
Read in October, 2008

Talk about strange... This book has a strange resemblance to an episode of the Magic School Bus where they travel inside one of the students... Only that was more believable. I think where L'Engle loses me is that she feels like she needs to explain everything - why not just leave it at - Charles is sick and we are going inside of him to fix what's wrong - see, I just said the same thing she did only she took half the book to say it. Sometimes its better just to leave it to our imagination. If you attempt to explain everything than there's no imagination left to it.

I am not saying there is no imagination to this book - there is - it's just not nearly on the level of her first.

And, I'm not sure what L'Engle was trying to do with pushing the idea of conformity. "If your different - you'd better learn to blend in or your never going to make it"... I can see a kernel of truth to that - but I'm not sure that makes it right.
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Wind in the Door.

Jill It reminded me of the Magic School Bus too! I'm glad I'm not alone, haha!

Wendy Terry Maybe this book is where the Magic School Bus came up with the idea.

Connie I don't know if you are old enough to remember a movie that was made called "Fantastic Voyage". It was made in 1966. I'm currently reading this L'Engle Book but looked it up due to your comment and this book was written in 1972. Anyway, Fantastic Voyage is similar to what you state (although I haven't gotten to this part yet in the book), they shrink down a submarine and inject it into a man to repair what is wrong with him. I haven't see The Magic School Bus episode, but thought I would not the commonality of the theme.

Connie *seen and *note