Meg - A Bookish Affair's Reviews > In The Matter Of J. Van Pelt

In The Matter Of J. Van Pelt by Dave Shiflett

Jun 07, 12

bookshelves: 2012, fiction
Read in June, 2012

This book was very interesting to me for a couple factors. First, it's written in a journal format by J. Van Pelt (Jesus Van Pelt), who is not a very likable guy at all. He's uber conservative to the point of being blind. He's part of the DC establishment that we all love to pour Haterade all over (that's just not me, right?). Through writing the book as journal entries, we get an intimate picture of who Van Pelt is and why he does what he does.

On the other hand, the hard thing about using journal entries is that they are a person's thoughts. When we write down our thoughts in a journal, we may not be thinking in full sentences or writing down everything that you would if you were writing something for another person. That did get a little confusing throughout the book.

I really did not like Van Pelt at all. I found it very hard to care about him throughout the book. He does finally make his way towards a little bit of redemption. I did really like the character of Uncle Shupe. He was just an all around awesome guy. The parts of the book that talked about the things that he said were always very funny.

This is a fast read with an interesting and engaging writing style.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In The Matter Of J. Van Pelt.