Bluerose's Heart's Reviews > The Haven

The Haven by Suzanne Woods Fisher

Sep 01, 12

bookshelves: christian
Read from July 19 to 23, 2012

The Haven was a quick and simple read! It's always refreshing for me to occasionally visit an Amish story. It's been awhile since I read Suzanne's The Waiting and The Search, but I think some of the characters carry over from those books. I do hate that I hadn't read the first book in this series, "The Keeper". I do think I would have enjoyed this one more if I had. It read perfectly fine as a stand-alone, though.

Here's where I have to get harsh on the book, and I really do hate to. First of all, I do want to say that I greatly enjoyed Suzanne's other two books. The Search is actually my favorite Amish book that I've read so far! I feel it's important to know that I do typically enjoy this author. While I didn't hate this story by any means, I didn't really like it either. It's probably a tie for my least favorite Amish book.

Sadie is very shy, and maybe even has a bit of social phobia. I should have connected with her, but I didn't. I didn't really connect with any of the characters. As far as the love triangle, I wasn't rooting for anybody! I didn't really care who she picked. I didn't care for the ending, but, again, as far as the love triangle, I don't think I would have been happy with either ending.

I did have an easy time picking this book up, though. I never had to struggle reading it, and I did enjoy getting briefly lost in the simple Amish world. If you've been keeping up with the Lapp family in the other books, The Haven is a must-read. I wouldn't start with this one, though.

*I was provided a review copy from Revell through Litfuse Publicity in exchange for my honest opinion.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Haven.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Melanie Only 3.5 stars? Hmm... I loved the first one and was hoping this one would be just as good... :)

Bluerose's  Heart I just didn't connect with it as much as I hoped. I've read two of Suzanne's other books, and loved them! The Search is actually my favorite Amish book so far. It's still good, though! :)