Ed [Redacted]'s Reviews > Casino Royale

Casino Royale by Ian Fleming

Jun 04, 2012

bookshelves: classic-hardboiled-noir, 2012, spy-vs-spy
Read on June 04, 2012

I watched my first Bond movie (I believe it was Dr. No) when I was about nine or ten. I know it was probably not very appropriate but those were my parents, the ones who took me to a drive-in showing of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest at the tender age of six (to be fair they thought I would fall asleep. I didn't). Anyway, I LOVED Bond. This started a life long love of the Bond movies. I adored Connery, Liked Moore a lot, Didn't like Dalton very well, tolerated Brosnan and thought Craig was a brilliant choice. I have seen them all more than twice.

For some reason I never bothered with the books. I guess I thought the movies were so goofy and unrealistic that I would sprain my eyes rolling them while reading. Finally I saw eleven of the Fleming novels at a used book store for a song...Oh, why not?

The book Bond is fairly different from the movie Bond. The book Bond is kind of a giant, sexist asshole. I am also pretty sure he is probably a sociopath. That being said I still enjoyed reading about Bond's exploits. He was less ultra capable in the book, which was nice, and there was no super cool gadgets either. I don't know if they come later or if that is just the movies. Then there was this.

"My name's Felix Leiter," said the American. "Glad to meet you"

"Mine's Bond--James Bond"

"Oh yes", said his companion, "and now let's see. What shall we have to celebrate?"

"A dry Martini," he said, "One. In a deep champagne goblet."

"Oui, Monsieur"

"Just a moment. Three measures of Gordon's, one of vodka, half a measure of Kina Lillet. Shake it very well until it's ice cold, then add a large thin slice of lemon-peel. Got it?"

That is just made out of awesome.

The book is pretty good. Probably not quite enough plot for the length of the book and the characters were not as strong as I would hope. On the other hand it moves right along and is entertaining throughout. I will definitely continue reading my way through the Bond novels.

4/5 stars (this is probably a three star book for most people but it gets an extra star because I am a fanboy)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Casino Royale.

message 1: by Contrarius (new)

Contrarius I recently read a coupla the Bond books myself, just so I could feel well-rounded. I actually enjoyed them.

I also saw Daniel Craig's version of Casino Royale again, last week. It was interesting to see the quotes from the book that got included.

Oh, and Connery and Craig are probably my favorite Bonds. Pierce is good too, but I like that extra dose of rugged manliness from the other two. :)

message 2: by Ed (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ed [Redacted] Connery and Craig are almost believable as super extra manly man secret agents. Moore et al are like cartoon versions of Bond, so over the top. Perhaps the later books are that way, I don't know yet.

message 3: by Contrarius (new)

Contrarius I never liked Moore much. He was too soft and cultured. Pierce had good sharpness and wit but not quite enough brawn, Dalton was too outright mean, and Lazenby was just blah.

message 4: by Ed (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ed [Redacted] Dalton was just mailing it in, also that was when the series was at its most cartoonish.

Kemper I saw the trailer for Skyfall the other day and it's got me very excited for the next movie.

message 6: by Nona (new)

Nona I had to comment on your parents taking you to see One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest when you were six; my parents took me to see Jaws in the theater when I was seven. Twice.