Julie's Reviews > The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes

The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes by Arthur Conan Doyle

Jun 04, 2012

bookshelves: 2012, ebook, classics, mystery, short-stories
Read from April 15 to June 04, 2012 , read count: 1

So, here is the second collection of short stories about the exploits of Sherlock Holmes. They were, of course, awesome. I will say that I did the same as before = split my reading between an ebook version on my phone, and the hardcover with the Sidney Paget illustrations. Both versions have advantages and disadvantages. The biggest difference in this case was that the hardcover followed the original (British) format by including The Cardboard Box, and the ebook (Barnes & Noble's complete two-volume collection) follows the American format by including The Cardboard Box as a story in The Return of Sherlock Holmes instead. I went ahead and read it just for my own sense of "completion."

There were a few things that surprised me. I was surprised at how Mycroft is portrayed and his level of involvement (minimal, except on particular occasions); at the very, very brief appearance of Moriarty. I mean, what? I'm sure there has to be more about him later, or he wouldn't be one of literature's greatest nemeses. (Except, I guess, he IS a rival for Sherlock Holmes and that makes him pretty amazing even for the ten minutes he shows up.) The Reichenbach Falls story played out in an interesting manner and really showed a lot of insight into Holmes' character.

I really, really love the characters and the whole milieu of Holmes' world. On to The Hound of the Baskervilles!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes.