Blythe's Reviews > League of Strays

League of Strays by L.B. Schulman
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
5206717
** spoiler alert ** WARNING: THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SOME SPOILERS AND PROFANITY.

BUT I JUST REALLY DON’T GIVE A SHIT.

Fuck, I hated this book. I don’t think I’ve ever been so offended, so disgusted, and just so damn pissed when reading a book. It genuinely pains me to see that people actually enjoyed this.

In League of Strays, the main character—who’s name I can’t be bothered to remember—gets invited to a meeting by a mysterious person. In a new neighborhood. At night.

RED FLAG #1

When at the meeting, she sees a bunch of other girls who seem to have no clue what is going on as well. Then, out of nowhere, a creepy (but hot, so it’s okay) boy comes out of the shadows to greet everyone by their first and last name, but they don’t know who the hell he is.

RED FLAG #2

The mysterious boy’s opener is exploiting each and every thing about the girls in the group’s lives, and saying that he’s been “profiling” them for months.

RED FLAG #3 (Seriously, why aren’t you running yet?)

Shit happens, the League of Strays is formed, and so is my complete disgust and hatred towards this book.

So, let’s discuss stalker boy Kade, shall we? I hated Kade immediately. The first page he appeared on, I wanted him to “fall” in front a bus. (FYI: The quotation marks insinuate that I would push him. Just thought you should know.)

Like I just mentioned, Kade’s opening announcement to each of the members in the group is exploiting them. Upon them meeting him for the first time, I don’t know if saying this to one of the members:

”Zoe Carpenter. Let’s see, mom divorced Zoe’s stepfather last year. Well, technically, he was number three. She lives in a home of revolving men, but the only one her mom really loves is Jack… Daniel’s."

is the best first impression. If he had said that to me, I’d slap him so hard his nose would bleed. Then maybe kick him while he's down in select places. But hey, that's just me. Zoe, of course, didn’t take any respectable course of action, because he’s hot. Then Kade goes on to another girl in the group, Nora, and says that she strives to make her parents proud of her after her sister committed suicide when she was fourteen, but they barely notice her. Again, that is not okay. That’s not something you mention at all, let alone having it be your first words to the damn person. But, since Kade is totally gorgeous, that gives him the right to be an arrogant prick, right? According to the girls in this book (and pretty much any heroine in YA), yes.

Then there’s the heroine—if you could even call her that—What’s Her Name. Yeah, I don't remember her name. She was forgettable and stupid; can you blame me? But we’re supposed to like her as a person because she doesn’t really want to get revenge on the bullies, but doesn’t want to disagree with Kade and get him mad? Yeah… Okay… That makes me hate you even more—that you can’t think for yourself, you brainless little idiot. Oh, but what makes a female character in YA literature without making her beautiful, but having her not notice it, and thinking she’s “funny-looking” and “too tall” and “too thin”? Nothing. Because apparently all females in YA literature have to be insecure.

And the whole plot is just so stupid and hypocritical to me. If you’re getting revenge on a bully by playing pranks on him/her, doesn’t that make you the bully? Thought so. And also, just because a teacher gives you a C in gym and ruins your chances of going to a good college, doesn’t mean you can trash her whole entire office and burn her grade book. (And do you really think a good college will reject you because you got a C in Gym? Calm down…)

But one prank went way too far, and I was in a fucking rage. In the League of Strays, there’s an openly gay boy named Richie who has been bullied by a jock after the jock asked Richie to get him drugs from his brother’s room. Giving into peer pressure, Richie obtained the drugs from his brother’s room, but the jock, Dave, I think, got caught taking the drugs in school. The two got suspended and Dave made it a point to make Richie’s life a living hell afterwards. So, since this book is all about getting revenge on bullies, Richie decides to write a letter that makes it look like Dave is in a gay relationship with another boy, telling him to meet up at night behind a post office, and he purposely left the letter in Dave’s friend’s locker. Then, the heroine (What’s Her Name) called Dave’s phone and spoke in a sexy voice telling him to meet her outside the post office at night. Of course, Dave, thinking he’ll be having sex, goes outside the post office to find the girl, and so does Dave’s friend, so that he can see if his friend is truly in a gay relationship. When Dave’s friend does see Dave waiting outside the post office, he starts calling him a faggot and a pansy, and he gets his friends to shove Dave to the ground and beat him up to the point where he broke his arm. Now, of course, the League of Strays is watching, practically in awe of what they’ve done, and Kade said that it’s, “getting good.”

You’re a sick fuck, Kade. In fact, you’re all sick fucks. All of you.

Then, afterwards, Dave finds Richie in school and starts calling him a faggot and beating him up.

Let me clarify something, okay?

fag·got [ fággət ]

1. a bundle of sticks or twigs, esp when bound together and used as fuel
2. (Engineering / Metallurgy) a bundle of iron bars, esp a box formed by four pieces of wrought iron and filled with scrap to be forged into wrought iron
3. (Cookery) a ball of chopped meat, usually pork liver, bound with herbs and bread and eaten fried
4. a bundle of anything

See that definition? Use the word “faggot” as such, or don't use it at all.

Got it?

(I did not finish this book, and I have no intention of ever finishing it.)

EDIT:

Trolls, you need to stop. I don't like a book you like.



EDIT AGAIN:

Yup, so I'm editing this again, because, not only do I now have a few trolls, but my very own stalker! Why, I'm flattered. And just so you know, my profile isn't meant to be anonymous. My Goodreads name is my actual name (minus the 'Lady', of course). Do you think I honestly care if you can find out about me through a simple Google search? And don't tell me not to use profanity in my review; I'll write what I want, when I want, and I don't give a shit what you have to say about it.

WHOA ANOTHER EDIT:

Did you see this coming? Well, you should have. I expect there to be more in the future. This edit relates to the previous edit, because the reviewer deleted the part of her review where she mentioned her stalking tendencies. But it's okay; I have pictures!

Photobucket

Come on, you didn't think you'd get off the hook as easily as deleting a few sentences, did you?

ANOTHER EDIT. MY GOODNESS, JUST GIVE UP:

And right when I thought there wasn't much lower someone could possibly go.

Photobucket

*sigh* Look at that. I mean, just look at it. You create an account in my name and have that account like the good reviews? My goodness, that's pathetic.
200 likes · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read League of Strays.
sign in »

Reading Progress

06/04/2012 "I hope this won't be a high school drama with your stereotypical bitchy cheerleader and her clique, the new girl who is immediately bullied by said bitch and crew, and the cool guy who is popular but sticks up for the new girl.

But it's a book about getting revenge on bullies, so I guess all of that is inevitable. *sigh* Let's see how this works out..."
06/05/2012
12.0% "Okay, I'm really not liking Kade right now. He's a creepy stalker, knows every. little. thing. about you, but you know nothing about him, he's a total jackass, and now he's asking everyone in the League of Strays to share the worst thing that's ever been done to them. But he's gorgeous, so all of that is okay in the eyes of the girls."
06/05/2012
13.0% "I just highlighted six things that went wrong in the past four pages. Four. freaking. pages."
06/06/2012
36.0% "These pranks are so incredibly immature, but Kade's level of asshole-ness has decreased a little. Let's hope it stays that way." 3 comments
06/06/2012
39.0% "League of Strays, you're lucky I didn't abandon you after reading that chapter. I am thoroughly disgusted at what just happened. Wow..." 12 comments
06/07/2012
50.0% "More gay bashing. That's it - I'm done." 1 comment

Comments (showing 1-50 of 166) (166 new)


message 1: by Thalia (new) - added it

Thalia Oh dear. Nothing decent ever warrants a statement like that!


Circus Princess What happened? WHAT HAPPENED? *uber-curious*


Blythe Check out my status update that says, "League of Strays, you're lucky I didn't abandon you after reading that chapter. I am thoroughly disgusted at what just happened. Wow..." and you'll find out why, The Demonic Circus Princess (long name!).


Circus Princess Just call me Demo ^_^ It's what everyone else does.

I just did. Jesus fuck, that is not cool. That's not a prank, that's fucking assault. And I would never be able to like a book with gay bashing. Quite a few of my friends are bi and homosexual. That would piss me off to no end. Totally not reading this book.


Skyla Thank you Blythe for attempting to read this book and letting all of us know how terrible it is.

Like books that contain rape or abuse I am not against reading books that have a gay bashing in them but I AM against it when it is done for the wrong reason or it is poorly done. There are a few books I have read and enjoyed that included rape, abuse or gay bashing that have been well written and done properly that I was...I don't want to say okay with it, but that I could understand the author's reasoning for writing it...this book has been annoyed, angry, upset and just plain confused as to why she (the author) thought this was a good idea for a YA novel.


Blythe Ha, as long as I can save other people from reading this travesty, I'm happy. I don't know why the author thought it was appropriate for a YA novel, and it was completely unnecessary. There could have been another prank to do to the bully, but that was just way too far.


message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Blythe, thank you for taking one for the team. I'll be honest and say I had no intention of reading this one anyway but I am SO sorry you had such a lousy reading experience. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.


message 8: by Krystle (new)

Krystle Holy shit. I want to vomit. I can't believe editors would let this slide! I mean SERIOUSLY?


message 9: by Rose (new) - rated it 1 star

Rose I started out thinking I was on the fence of reading this book for myself, but reading your full review - nope, not happening. Thank you Lady Blythe.


Blythe Rose wrote: "I started out thinking I was on the fence of reading this book for myself, but reading your full review - nope, not happening. Thank you Lady Blythe."

Haha, you're welcome. If there's one good thing to come out of this book, it's that I can save other people from reading this book. :)

Krystle wrote: "Holy shit. I want to vomit. I can't believe editors would let this slide! I mean SERIOUSLY?"

I know, right?

Kara wrote: "Blythe, thank you for taking one for the team. I'll be honest and say I had no intention of reading this one anyway but I am SO sorry you had such a lousy reading experience. I wouldn't wish that o..."

Haha, it's okay. At least now people reading my review can see what type of content is in the book, and decide whether or not they want to read it.


message 11: by Thalia (new) - added it

Thalia Awkwarddddddd. The description made it sound like the main character was actually going to realize how creepy this dude is and take legit action against it. That's disappointing. All of it is disappointing.


Blythe I wouldn't know if she finally realizes he's creepy - I didn't finish it, and I refuse to finish it.


message 13: by Thalia (new) - added it

Thalia Although, out of curiosity, was it the actual message of the author to bash gays? That doesn't make sense, considering one of the kids in the League is actually gay.


Blythe Well, that's how I saw it. The book made it look like being gay was a bad thing and something worthy of a broken arm and a beating, and that was enough for me to stop reading. The first time it happened, while I was incredibly disgusted, I kept reading. The second time, however, I had to abandon it.


message 15: by Thalia (new) - added it

Thalia Were you supposed to feel that way, though? Make you hate the bullies and understand why the League was taking action against them (although I guess they got the one bully beat up, but are maybe exploiting the other ones, too..?).

I swear I'm not condoning; just trying to work it out in my head.


message 16: by Blythe (last edited Jun 07, 2012 06:19PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Blythe Well, I suppose the author's intention was for the readers to hate the bullies, but for me it ended up the other way around with me hating the League of Strays. *shrugs* I don't know. If you read it I look forward to seeing what you think of it.


message 17: by Thalia (new) - added it

Thalia Yeah, I can definitely see why. I think the intention may have been to do that, but it's obvious that it strongly backfired. I might read it someday, and since I'm so compulsive about finishing anything I start no matter how awful, unfortunately, maybe it'll be cleared up.

And if not, then I can just add to what you had to say. (:


Blythe I'm (kind of) compulsive about finishing anything I start, but with this book it got a little too personal with some things that happened in my life, so I couldn't read it any longer.


message 19: by Thalia (new) - added it

Thalia Totally understandable! It didn't seem like it was much worth finishing anyway, and there are plenty of other things to spend your time on!


message 20: by Giselle (new)

Giselle This review makes me happy. It just does.


Blythe Thanks, I'm happy this review makes you happy. :D

Also, can I have everyone's opinion on this?

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/10...
http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/10...
http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/70...

What do you say? Sock-puppet accounts? (I'm fairly certain Annalise is a sock puppet account, because both she and the author of this book live in San Rafael).


message 22: by Giselle (new)

Giselle Looks very fishy yeah. I can't see the 1st one says it's private. But the others I'd say definitely.


Blythe Yeah, the first one is now private. Oh well. I saw that the first one has 6 books and 0 friends, though.


message 24: by Giselle (last edited Jun 09, 2012 10:10AM) (new)

Giselle Also just look at the 3rd who gave 5 stars to the book last December before any ARCs could have been out.


Blythe Ah, yes, that's true, I hadn't thought of that! Nice one, Giselle!


Blythe Okay, so Annalise is definitely a sock-puppet account.


message 27: by Giselle (new)

Giselle And this review from #2 sounds super fake (the author explaining herself) and that #3 "liked" : http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Major eyeroll. Dude I love this shit. Seeing people act desperate. It's so sad it amuses me.


message 28: by Blythe (last edited Jun 09, 2012 07:23PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Blythe I know. I think that person might have called me an asshole, given that review was posted the day I posted this review.


Blythe I'm so tempted to comment on Annalise's review asking how she got an ARC almost a full year before the actual release date.


message 30: by Giselle (new)

Giselle Most likely because when I sort:default the community reviews, yours is the very 1st.


message 31: by Giselle (new)

Giselle Lady Blythe wrote: "I'm so tempted to comment on Annalise's review asking how she got an ARC almost a full year before the actual release date."

Haha right? Printscreen it she may delete it when she realized how obvious it is. The top reviews are all either bad or funny gifs about how this books sounds ridiculous. So her asshole mention may just be a general fuck you to them all.


Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews) Lady Blythe wrote: "Thanks, I'm happy this review makes you happy. :D

Also, can I have everyone's opinion on this?

http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/10...
http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/10......"




Here we go again....


Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews) Somehow I also had missed liking this? Fixed that :|


message 34: by Amanda (new) - added it

Amanda The Book Slayer Lol oh Blythe. Sometimes the only way to express certain thoughts are through profanity.


message 35: by Blythe (last edited Jun 09, 2012 10:24AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Blythe I couldn't agree more, Mommaseymour. :D Thanks for liking my review, everyone!

And Giselle, I just took a picture of the review by "Darren" and by "Annalise", just in case they change it in any way. I don't get why authors can't just deal with the fact that not everyone will like their book. And if you read my review, I think you can get a pretty solid reason of why I didn't like this book.


message 36: by Giselle (new)

Giselle Yeah there's no way I'm reading this. Plus I had no interest in it before bc of the awful cover - and yes that's a completely relevant deciding factor! :D But I can't see this being well taken overall though I'm sure you won't be the only negative review. It's already been DNFed and tagged as "no way" a bunch O_O


Blythe Ooh, nice one Paige! I didn't catch that, either! I never catch the good stuff. Yeah, I'm about to take a few more screenshots now.


message 38: by Giselle (new)

Giselle Like really. How hard is it to make an account private? If you're gonna be a puppet, at least be intelligent about it.


Blythe Oh well, it's too late for her to make her accounts private, because I already took screenshots of everything relevant. I can't wait to see what you think, Paige.


message 40: by L.B. (new) - added it

L.B. Schulman I will not comment on these reviews. Everyone has a right to their opinion. But to clear it up, Annalise is my teenage daughter. She was reading the ARC through, though she had read it before, years earlier. She is supporting me. I have no idea who Darren is, but I can assure you it's not me or anyone I know, so it's an honest opinion.


message 41: by Emily (new) - added it

Emily Yes, because a prank that involves gay bashing (even fake) is soooo cool. No.

Thank you for reading halfway through this so I don't have to.


message 42: by Blythe (last edited Jun 09, 2012 10:46PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Blythe The comment has been deleted, but this is what I suppose another sock-puppet account is:

Paige

I'm halfway through the book and I signed onto Goodreads to see what people were saying. I am really surprised by what I'm reading here. A few people are so negative and hostile without even having finished it. As a responsible reviewer, I don't think it is right to judge without reading the whole book so you know where the author is going with it. And... about the gay revenge scene... my take was that the gay character was trying to show the bully what it feels like to be harassed. Charlotte obviously didn't like how it played out! Personally I am liking this book and I give credit to those of you who think for yourselves and don't form opinions from one person who never even finished it.

First things first, you joined Goodreads in June of 2012, which is when I posted this review. You don't have any books shelved, but you come to troll my review of League of Strays. Suspicious, is it not? I think of myself as a responsible reviewer, and I think it's respectable to post a review on why I couldn't finish a book, do you not? I think I can at least give my followers and friends a reason behind why I couldn't finish the book, and that's what I did here. And I don't care what your take was on the gay revenge scene. I felt it was immature, unnecessary, disgusting and I was personally offended. There could have been many other ways to have gotten revenge on a bully. And if Charlotte didn't like how it played out, why didn't she do anything? From what I've read, she's weak, and is too afraid to disagree with Kade. I'm glad that you're enjoying this book, although it does seem like a sock-puppet account, so you're probably not actually reading it.

L.B., okay, so Annalise is your daughter, and I apologize for that misunderstanding, but seriously? Do you expect me to believe that a few accounts that were created in June come and reference me in their reviews, come troll me on my own review, and talk about your book and only shelve your book aren't sock-puppet accounts? Sorry, I don't buy it. Not one bit.


message 43: by Bern (new)

Bern Oh, god, this again? Authors, please. If you must see the reviews, can you at least do so quietly? I'm honestly tired of this. You go, Blythe. You're as entitled to write what you want about her book as she's entitled to write whatever she wants in it. God, i'm so freaking exhausted of all this shit happening over and over again I can't even


message 44: by Paige (new)

Paige Just because someone disagrees with you, it doesn't mean that they are the author. I am not the author and I do like the book.
See ya!


message 45: by Bern (new)

Bern That's great sweetie, can you make yourself useful and fetch me a coke while you're at it?


message 46: by Giselle (new)

Giselle And a cookie!


message 47: by Giselle (new)

Giselle I want a cookie!


message 48: by Giselle (new)

Giselle Just saying.


Blythe Paige wrote: "Just because someone disagrees with you, it doesn't mean that they are the author. I am not the author and I do like the book.
See ya!"


But it is suspicious that someone created a Goodreads account, only to troll my review, is it not?


Blythe Giselle wrote: "I want a cookie!"

Cookies for everyone, Giselle!




« previous 1 3 4
back to top