Blythe's Reviews > Crewel

Crewel by Gennifer Albin

5206717
Well, this is going to be a difficult review to write. Trust me, if I could, my entire review would comprise of a bunch of gifs depicting happy dances, like so:

And no, I don't know what that last gif is exactly. Sure, it might be irrelevant, but what I do know is that it's a woman in a crab costume and it's staying.

Now, where was I? Oh yeah, how if I could my entire review would be of gifs, but apparently, that's not a "proper" review, because it doesn't have to do with the contents of the book. Hmph. Well then! Here goes my attempt at writing a review for Crewel, but don't say I didn't warn you: it will be a jumbled mess. (Just go to the bottom of this review for a much shorter evaluation on my thoughts of this book.)

It's been almost a full day since I finished reading Crewel, and I have no clue as to how I'm going to put my thoughts of it into words, or even describe the book in any way. I could write my own synopsis for Crewel, like I normally would at this point in the review, but,

1) I'm afraid of giving away too much, and would like anyone interested in reading Crewel to go into it knowing as little as possible;

and 2) I honestly have no freaking clue how I could possibly write a synopsis for this book.

What I can say, however, is that the basic plot for Crewel is absolutely brilliant, and that this book is one of the most original and creative books I've ever read in my life, and definitely the most original and creative book I've read this year. You can tell that Albin clearly put a lot of thought into what she wanted Crewel to be, and the world in which Crewel takes place is breathtakingly detailed and captivating.

Along with the flawless world building and the sheer originality (something we as readers, unfortunately, don't find very often in YA), the characters are all very likable and flawed (and, therefore, believable), and the Albin's writing is stunning and gorgeous. Back to the characters in Crewel: we're immediately introduced to our protagonist, Adelice. While Adelice is not the smartest, strongest, or all around best protagonist you'll ever read about, she's still a very likable character, and she is very easy to sympathize with. And while she is a bit naive when it comes to boys, it was understandable considering she was raised in a sector of the world where people were segregated by gender.

And, since we're on the topic of boys and Adelice's naivete towards them, then I might as well say it right now, that yes: there is a love triangle, and this is the main - if not only - reason Crewel is receiving four stars from me as opposed to five. I really have zero tolerance for love triangles now, since they appear so, so often in YA, and I especially have no tolerance when there's the one person in the love triangle the indecisive teenager is obviously going to end up with, and then there's the other one, who really only exists to add stress to the main relationship. And, adding to that, I just didn't find anything special about the two love interests in Crewel, and in the end, I have a blurred opinion on both of them.

However, despite the unfortunate and predictable love triangle, I found Crewel to be a thoroughly interesting and brilliant debut, with an ending that is sure to provide an even better sequel. While it's not a perfect novel, it was just what I needed to rid me of my crappy book streak, and I loved it.
____________

And now, for those of you who didn't want to go through the inevitable torture that you'd be put through if you read my mess of a review (or, if you've read the review and are now reading this, for which I applaud you in making it this far), here's the much shorter evaluation on my thoughts of Crewel:

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crewel.

08/12
4.0% "HOLY CRAP." 4 comments
08/13
27.0% "I'm amazed at how brilliant this book is." 6 comments
08/14
53.0% "Hoping to finish this today!"
08/14
100.0% "What an ending!"
05/07 marked as: read

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 1-50 of 59) </span> <span class="smallText">(59 new)</span>

Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews) Woo! Did you see 666 Park Avenue and its sequel are on sale for $.99 on ereaders today?

shady Luckyyy. ._. Macmillan hates me.

message 3: by Sandra (new)

Sandra It's listed twice on NG, with two different covers.

Blythe Sandra wrote: "It's listed twice on NG, with two different covers."

Maybe one's a UK version and the other is not?

fяσzєи wrote: "Luckyyy. ._. Macmillan hates me."

I hope they approve you, Fauzy!

message 5: by Sandra (last edited Aug 10, 2012 12:34PM) (new)

Sandra Blythe wrote: "Sandra wrote: "It's listed twice on NG, with two different covers."

Maybe one's a UK version and the other is not?

Dunno?

Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews) I havent been this excited about Mac autoapprove since Monstrous Beauty and Shadow and Bone!

Sophie Woot! I have high expectations for this one, and I'm hoping for something creative enough to rock my socks off. Seeing your review has given me hope :D

Blythe Sophie wrote: "Woot! I have high expectations for this one, and I'm hoping for something creative enough to rock my socks off. Seeing your review has given me hope :D"

Well this is guaranteed to be creative enough to rock your socks off. It's so creative and the world is so detailed to the point where I'm amazed that someone actually came up with it all.

Giselle Win.

That is all.

message 10: by Blythe (last edited Aug 15, 2012 09:10PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Blythe

(view spoiler)

Steph Sinclair Great review! I finished mine last night (it'll go up tomorrow) and it was a difficult one to write. But you are right about that ending. Gosh, I can't wait for book two!

Blythe Thanks, Stephanie! I can't wait to read your review! I am so looking forward to book two. It's going to be amazing. (And I just read a tweet from Gennifer Albin that said she's writing Crewel 3 and it has a huge mindfuck.)

message 13: by Rogier (new)

Rogier i fucking need it . smiles . gr8 review blythe

Steph Sinclair Blythe wrote: "Thanks, Stephanie! I can't wait to read your review! I am so looking forward to book two. It's going to be amazing. (And I just read a tweet from Gennifer Albin that said she's writing Crewel 3 and..."

OMGosh! Gah! I need to read itttttt!!! You know, she's going to be on the Fierce Reads tour this fall along with Leigh Bardugo (Shadow and Bone). You should check and see if they are coming near you! I'm totally going. :D

Leigh has the dates on her site: http://www.leighbardugo.com/news/

message 15: by Blythe (last edited Aug 16, 2012 06:55AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Blythe Oooh, totally checking out the tour stops right now, thanks! I loved Shadow and Bone, too! (Crap... still need to write that review. Uh-oh.)

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I am so looking forward to CREWEL 2. I'm jealous bc my beta reader is Genn's CP and therefore gets to read all the Adelice/Crewel before it hits stores. *le sigh* LOL. I agree with your review wholeheartedly. Some of the worldbuilding confused me (esp toward the end) but I think it will (hopefully!) be explained in Book 2. Also, boo on the love interests. Boo on Jost (srsly dude u had a wife!! WTF yo.), boo on the love TRIANGLE. snark snarkity snark. ;)

Blythe EXACTLY. He had a freaking wife. I thought he was an otherwise likable character, but I just couldn't get past that bit of information to actually like him... It's really hard for me to like characters who are in two relationships at the same time. And the love triangle really did not need to be in this book, or even a romance to begin with. I think I'm going to start deducting a star automatically if there's a love triangle or insta-love in a book.

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

ME TOO. re: Jost and his wife and then randomly loving Adelice.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Also did you feel this was more fantastical than sci fi? Or was that just me? I really would love to see this as a movie version, though especially the weaving (and I loved the imagery of Jost's wife/child all that stuff)... I think Gennifer has a beautiful writing style and as her new WIP is contemporary I wonder what that would sound/be like :)

Blythe I definitely saw it as more of a fantasy than sci-fi. Sure, it had sci-fi elements but it just had the overall feel of a fantasy.

message 21: by Gwenyth (new) - added it

Gwenyth Love That good? I picked up a copy at BEA but haven't read it yet. Maybe I should!

Blythe It's great, Gwenyth. I really hope you like it!

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard When you mentioned "love triangle" I physically cringed.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

I second picking this up. More fantastical than sci-fi though, heads up.

message 25: by Kenya (new) - added it

Kenya Wright You had me at the "woman in the crab costume" gif!!!

message 26: by Milla (new)

Milla Diaz What's with all the gifs? They're unnecessary.

Blythe Silke wrote: "What's with all the gifs? They're unnecessary."

Christina (A Reader of Fictions) Yet again, I SO wish I could like comments, because that response is perfect. GIFs are pretty much always amazing.

Cassi aka Snow White wrote: "When you mentioned "love triangle" I physically cringed."

The love triangle hurts. I wanted to tear it to shreds. Agh.

message 29: by Milla (new)

Milla Diaz @Blythe
You must not have a life outside your computer, attention-seeker.

Blythe Silke wrote: "@Blythe

Says the troll.

Christina (A Reader of Fictions) Lol. No more than anyone posting shit publicly on the internet.

message 32: by Milla (new)

Milla Diaz Blythe wrote: "Silke wrote: "@Blythe

Says the troll."

Took your slow brain cells long enough. =)

Blythe What's with the gif? It's unnecessary.

Cassi aka Snow White Haggard Oh look a troll! How quaint.

message 35: by Milla (new)

Milla Diaz

message 37: by Rogier (new)

Rogier rogier huggs blythe . troll shu shu

Christina (A Reader of Fictions) Silke wrote: "Blythe wrote: "Silke wrote: "@Blythe

Says the troll."

Took your slow brain cells long enough. =)

"

message 39: by Milla (new)

Milla Diaz Thanks for entertaining me idiots. =)

Blythe Likewise. Now go off and enjoy your eloquently written Fifty Shades of Grey quotes, because you clearly have a wonderful taste in books.

message 42: by Milla (new)

Milla Diaz Blythe wrote: "Likewise. Now go off and enjoy your eloquently written Fifty Shades of Grey quotes, because you clearly have a wonderful taste in books."

Whoa. Someone's been stalking me. Hahaha =D

Blythe Silke wrote: "Blythe wrote: "Likewise. Now go off and enjoy your eloquently written Fifty Shades of Grey quotes, because you clearly have a wonderful taste in books."

Whoa. Someone's been stalking me. Hahaha =D

"

Don't flatter yourself; it's called clicking on your profile, not stalking.

message 44: by Milla (new)

Milla Diaz [image error]

Blythe Ouch. That hurt, Silke. You ... you called me a stalker... that... that makes me feel...

message 46: by Milla (new)

Milla Diaz What a lame response. I'm outta here.

DONT FORGET =) :

message 48: by Rogier (new)

Rogier haha blythe

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

I always show up at the tail end of a gif war.

Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews) Blythe wrote: "Silke wrote: "What's with all the gifs? They're unnecessary."

"

Blythe, I fucking love you. Sorry there was an obnoxious troll, but I love how it was handled. Well done.

« previous 1