Lynda Dickson's Reviews > Surrender

Surrender by Sonya Hartnett

Jun 11, 12

Read from June 04 to 09, 2012

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Surrender.

Quotes Lynda Liked

Sonya Hartnett
“I am dying: it's a beautiful word. Like the long slow sigh of a cello: dying. But the sound of it is the only beautiful thing about it.”

Sonya Hartnett
“Yeah, reflections! The same, but different. Like twins - like blood brothers! And when you need something bad done, like punishment or revenge, you'll just ask me, and I will do it -”

Sonya Hartnett
“I would always be lonely, but no more alone.”

Sonya Hartnett
“Evangeline's obliviousness was a reason to like her rather than not: I liked least those schoolfellows whose awareness of me invariably caused misery.”

Sonya Hartnett
“I looked along the aisle and saw her, and it was as if I saw her for the first time. Everything changed. The ancient featureless interior of me spangled orange, mint, cat-blue. I looked back to the window immediately, my face damp, my breath caught. And worried I would never have the courage to look at her again.”

Sonya Hartnett
“Affection makes fools. Always, without exception, love digs a channel that's sooner or later flooded by the briny water of despair.”

Sonya Hartnett
“I suppose that's what happens when you make other people's lives miserable: life gets miserable back at you.”

Sonya Hartnett
“Life is lived on the inside. What's outside doesn't matter.”

Sonya Hartnett
“We walked into the forests which encircled the town. I have never liked them, their dark throat, their sullen height, their slump-shouldered gloom. But Evangeline walked steadily into their maw, and I followed her. She wanted to see the swathes which, years ago, the firebug had burned. The furnaced forest was green again, though here and there stood leafless trunks cindered to the core; on the scruffy dirt lay stiff black limbs tangled in morning-glory. Evangeline touched her palm to the charcoal, murmured, 'Poor things.”

Sonya Hartnett
“We both knew that what I said was the truth, as well as being a lie. The pure and honest answer was pinging between us, hovering above the weeds.”

Sonya Hartnett
“I thought about how stupid it is, that all of us are born destined to desire somebody else, though desire brings with it such disappointment and pain. Humankind's history must be scored bloody with heartbreak. This hankering for affection is a blight upon us.”

Sonya Hartnett
“Time crawled past on leaden hands and knees.”

Sonya Hartnett
“My life was pouring out my feet and seeping through cracks in the floor; yet still I knelt and did not move, for fear she'd let go my hands. Let me stay, I wanted to beg: Please don't make me go.”
Sonya Hartnett, Surrender
tags: beg, fear, life, stay

Sonya Hartnett
“Every atom in me feels composed of lead. This is what dying is: a pull to the ground.”

Sonya Hartnett
“She doesn't understand that doors, walls, fences, ceilings - they're helpless to keep out what determinedly desires to get in.”