Dani's Reviews > Make a Zine: When Words and Graphics Collide

Make a Zine by Bill Brent

Jan 04, 16

bookshelves: zines, print-edition, public-library
Read from June 04 to 05, 2012

Each summer I give myself a "thing" to do or get obsessed over and learn more about. This summer, it's zines. My work recently acquired a collection of just less than 150 zines and I'm so excited to read them ALL.

I really liked this guide's approach to educating the reader about zines and giving helpful tips and advice on starting a zine of one's own. Inspired by this book, I'm going to create a one-shot zine this summer!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Make a Zine.

message 1: by Melyssa (last edited Jun 05, 2012 08:05PM) (new)

Melyssa Randomness... I live in Salt Lake and we have one of the largest public collections of zines in the world. My advanced typography class all made zines for that collection and I now have a zine there in the private collection. All cased up so no one can touch it. It's one of my proud little moments. :D

Dani Melyssa wrote: "Randomness... I live in Salt Lake and we have one of the largest public collections of zines in the world. My advanced typography class all made zones for that collection and I now have a zine ther..."
Sounds awesome! I live near a well-known zine library and I hope to eventually have something there for others to read. :)

message 3: by Melyssa (new)

Melyssa Some of the library employees in that dept. came to talk to us and brought some really cool stuff... I like how it can really just be anything you want and bound however. It's something that I didn't really know about until my prof gave us that project. :D

Dani I found out about zines my freshman year of college when I joined my school's queer student union, but I didn't get involved with reading them until last year when I was asked to submit a piece for one.

Such an amazing art form. I'm hoping I'll be able to use it in one of the courses I'm taking this upcoming autumn. :)

message 5: by Melyssa (new)

Melyssa It'll be good to integrate into any class... :)