Angela Risner's Reviews > The Emperor's Tomb

The Emperor's Tomb by Steve Berry

Jun 04, 2012

I panned Berry's last book, the Paris Vendetta. I was so disappointed in it.

I am happy to say that I was very happy with The Emperor's Tomb. This book is a huge step back in the right direction, toward the Cotton Malone escapades we have come to know and love.

First of all, Cotton seemed, well, like COTTON again. He just wants to sell his books, enjoying his quiet little life. But of course, that will not last, as he is soon pulled into a quest to save his dear friend and perhaps soon lover, Cassiopeia Vitt. Yes, she is back!

Cassiopeia has been kidnapped and is being tortured (nice use of waterboarding there, Steve). She tells her captors that what they seek was handed off to Cotton. Cotton finds this fascinating, as he has no clue what that is. But he kind of loves her in his own way and he's willing to find out.

Returning to this book are series regular Stephanie, Cotton's old boss that still seems to boss him, and Viktor, the double/triple/quadruple agent from the last book.

What's new and fantastic is a look at China and its history. I admit, I did not know a great deal about the Chinese, Chairman Mao, and the political system there before the book. This story definitely piqued my interest and I want to continue to learn about them.

As with most of his books, Steve Berry adjusts some facts (or makes them up) to suit the story, but I would say that about 95% of the book is based in fact. I absolutely love learning so much while I'm being entertained.

The most interesting fact to come out of the book is the disagreement as to where oil comes from. Is it from fossil fuels or is it simply a natural occurrence? Well, there is a great deal of research that shows it doesn't rely on fossil fuels at all. You can read about it when you do search on "abiotic oil."

Overall, I really enjoyed this book and look forward to the next one.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Emperor's Tomb.