Caroline's Reviews > The Fencing Master

Oct 02, 08

bookshelves: read-in-2008, historical-mystery
Recommended to Caroline by: Emily
Read in October, 2008

I enjoyed this, but I've never been terribly huge on long discourses on politics and the first half of this book really suffers from the characters discussing politics...a lot. That combined with a lot of technical fencing passages and I wasn't sure if I'd actually enjoy this, and I've actually practiced fencing but even understanding the terms and scenes I still was a bit bored by the technicalities.

It took about half the novel for the murder to actually occur, and things really got interesting after that. Don Jaime was an interesting character to follow as he tried to discover the truth behind the conspiracy. The mystery was pretty easy to solve, but even though I figured out how it would end early on I still did enjoy the actual process of the characters discovering it on their own.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fencing Master.

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael Amazon keeps pushing this book on me just because I love The Club Dumas.

Caroline I've heard really good things about The Club Dumas, so I really should get around to reading that.

Apparently this was one of his earlier books (1988), so I'll definitely be interested in reading some of his later novels. I finished the entire thing on two day's worth of breaks at work, so it was definitely a really quick read.