Laverne Ombadykow's Reviews > Living Close to God (When You're Not Good at It): A Spiritual Life That Takes You Deeper Than Daily Devotions

Living Close to God (When You're Not Good at It) by Gene Edwards

Jun 04, 12

During all of my Christian life I have often felt that I fell short of where I should have been in my relationship with God. So, when I saw this book offered by WaterBrook Multnomah for review, I agreed to read it and write a review.

Gene Edwards, the author, openly admitted that he wasn't good at drawing close to God. He wrote about putting aside the legalistic rules about how long to pray and how much to read every day and how long to spend in quiet time. What he offered was a guide to what he found worked for him. He also offered encouragement to those who have gotten discouraged and failed and quit when trying to spend time in God's presence.

It was comforting to be reminded that many of the first Christians could not read and write and yet were able to have meaningful relationships with God. A deep, continuous relationship with God is attainable for all of us.

Some of the suggestions the author made were things I already had been doing, and this was a comfort to me. He also mentioned some books that had helped him in his pursuit of a deeper relationship with God and I am planning to read them. He suggested putting reminders by the bedside, on the starter of the car, in the office, etc. - just something that triggers one to stop and says I Love you, God or a similar phrase.

I received this book free from WaterBrook Multnomah Publishing Group for this review

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Living Close to God (When You're Not Good at It).