Candace's Reviews > Capital

Capital by John Lanchester

Jul 15, 12

Read in June, 2012

I love this sort of book; you know, those gloriously satisfying reads with lots of characters whose lives are explored by a lovely writer. That would be "Capital" indeed, and this novel is.

Like R.F. Delderfield in "The Avenue", John Lanchester takes a London street and focuses on a number of residents of Pepys Road. Unlike Delderfield's post-WWI idyll, Pepys Road has already been transformed by the big money of 2007 and a non-stop frenzy of additions, remodeling, and spending, spending, spending. In the midst of this, residents begin receiving postcards reading "we want what you have."

The characters are appealing, believable, well-drawn, and surprising. "Capital" is a treat and a pleasure all the way around.

by Candace Siegle, Greedy Reader

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Capital.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Nette Totally agree with your review, and thanks for the mention of "The Avenue" -- I just ordered it from the library and I'm looking forward to a compare-and-contrast.

Candace Nette wrote: "Totally agree with your review, and thanks for the mention of "The Avenue" -- I just ordered it from the library and I'm looking forward to a compare-and-contrast."

Thanks, Nette! The Avenue is a much gentler book but still gives that great pleasure of becoming engrossed in one street's evolution over time. I hope you like it!