Jessica at Book Sake's Reviews > Animal Man, Vol. 1: The Hunt

Animal Man, Vol. 1 by Jeff Lemire

Jun 04, 12

Whew, this is a weird one. Not really what I was expecting from a DC comic. This felt more like a Vertigo book. Vertigo is an imprint of DC that is meant for mature readers. Animal Man was actually part of DC, then moved to Vertigo and is now back to DC as part of the new 52.

As dark as Batman gets sometime, I felt that Animal was really dark. The art is full of twisted, distorted bodies which are disturbing. Don’t get me wrong, I like disturbing as much as the next guy. But it has to be handled with finesse and not just be utterly disgusting. The art style always feels a little off kilter which adds to odd feelings I got from this book. The colors of the book are juxtaposed to the art. They aren’t really dark, just bold solid colors.

The story itself isn’t really as disturbing as the art now that I think back. It has its moment, a little girl has dead, skeletal animals as pets but even then I think it is the art that really takes it to the dark place. Also the story seemed to just end as if this wasn’t meant to be the end of the story arc. It came about all too abruptly. Some people may really like this type of story, but I felt the writing, the art and the coloring were pulling me in all kinds of different directions that really just left me confused and unsatisfied.

Reviewed by Chris for Book Sake.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Animal Man, Vol. 1.