Stevie Mikayne's Reviews > Desert Rice

Desert Rice by Angela  Scott

9572004
Aug 16, 12

I began reading Desert Rice at bedtime. I thought "Ah... I'll just relax and crack open a chapter to see why everybody's talking about Desert Rice." Wow. 11:30 PM went by and I was still sitting bolt upright in bed, eyes wide.

Novelists love a "hook" - something to grab their readers right from the word go. Or in this case, "Grab'er feet!" Scott didn't just find a hook - she found a claw. I was lifted from my bed and transported to a trailer park where Samantha Jean Haggert and her brother Jacob stood over their mother's dead body, put to the task of trying to move her. Jacob's love for his twelve-year-old sister is matched only by his fear for her safety. He shields her, provides for her, and simultaneously pushes her away with the force of his protection. This incredible bond drives their story to unbelievable places, and causes Jacob to make drastic decisions that have permanent and wide-reaching consequences.

Starting in West Virginia, winding all the way to Arizona, these two survive on stolen food and stark fear. Along the way, they meet kind souls like Boone and Laura, who help them stitch their lives back up. When Jacob is finally forced to reveal the secrets he's been keeping, his heartbreaking revelations ignite a series of unstoppable events. The only way out of hell for this brother/sister duo is straight through the flames.

A gripping tale of two young people on a frightening road trip, trying to survive in an adult world, this is a must-read for anyone who loves strong pacing, dramatic storytelling, and a shocking end.

Two thumbs up to Angela Scott!
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Desert Rice.