Tara's Reviews > Silent in the Grave

Silent in the Grave by Deanna Raybourn

Jun 12, 12

bookshelves: kindle, historical-fiction, mystery
Read from June 02 to 07, 2012

I really enjoyed reading this book. I found most of the characters appealing, and I loved the heroine and the overall tone of the book.

I have no idea if it's historically accurate - I imagine that in real life, Lady Julia's modern sensibilities might have ostracized her and perhaps crippled her ability to function in society more than has been portrayed in this book. I don't actually CARE if it's historically accurate, as long as it was a good read and I found her character relatable, but I can see that being a potential issue for someone else.

I DID cringe a couple times at Julia's romanticism of the idea of the dark, brooding, mysterious hero - like Heathcliff and Rochester. I found myself rolling my eyes that a grown woman would think life with Heathcliff would be a good thing. I haven't really warmed up to the hero of this book - He has that dark, brooding, mysterious thing going on, but he seems like he MAY just be good guy with some issues. I'm looking forward to seeing how his character develops in the next couple books.

9 out of 10 stars - maybe not a perfect book, but the perfect read for me right now. Can't wait to read the next one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Silent in the Grave.