Sara (sarabara081)'s Reviews > Crash

Crash by Lisa McMann

Dec 22, 12

bookshelves: rochester-tbf-2013, arcs-i-have
Read from December 08 to 11, 2012

You can find more of my reviews at Forever 17 Books.

4.5 stars!

Oh my dogs! This book was so much more than I expected! In the tradition of the main character, I decided to present my review to you with a list.

Five reasons why this book is a must read:

1. Jules is a stand-out, awesomely fun character. Even though she was going through something scary, she managed to add a lot of humor and lightness to the situation. Her sarcastic remarks and reactions to everything going on added a whole other dimension to the story. (Check out some of my favorite quotes from Jules HERE!)

2. The siblings on a whole were such a tight unit. Trey was basically the male version of his sister, which means once again we have an awesomely sarcastic and funny character to make you laugh. He would often pick on Jules to get a reaction, especially about her crush, Sawyer. The little sister, Rowan, didn't stick out as much to me but that's not a bad thing. With family issues and the need to constantly work in their restaurant, it banded them together in a way you don't often see among siblings. As a mother myself, they have the type of relationship I would wish for my kids to always have.

3. Silent Library reference? Hell yeah! If you haven't seen that show on MTV before, go google it!

4. The visions! Jules is having the same vision repeat over and over, everywhere she looks. It is always the same one, a truck crashing into a building that leads to a huge explosion and 9 body bags. A horrible thing to be forced to see on repeat, but as we read on she is able to put together bits and pieces with the hopes she can somehow stop this from happening. I loved how they would pop up everywhere but in some circumstances, she could watch them with the power to rewind, pause, slow-mo or zoom in to gain more details. How they are happening and why is not necessarily answered but I am sure more pieces of the puzzle will come together in other installments of the series.

5. The plot! I can honestly say I have not read anything like this before. I mean, the main character lives and breathes her family's restaurant, which just so happens to be in a rivalry with Sawyer's family restaurant. These parents HATE each other, with a passion. You know what that means for Jules and Sawyer, right? A forbidden romance! We only graze the surface of it in Crash but I look forward to exploring this avenue further in the sequel.
But there are so many additional layers to uncover here. For example, Jules's father is a hoarder (not in the 5 feet of animal feces and dead cats in the fridge type of way). As someone who is fascinated by this and often watches the show on tv, it was kind of an interesting factor to have involved in the plot. There is also some mystery to her father's illness and makes me wonder if there is more there than meets the eye. I could be stretching though.

Seriously, I just really enjoyed everything about this novel. The cover is already on my list of favorite covers for 2013. Not only is it beautiful, but it FITS. That can often be a rare occurrence. At only 256 pages, it is a short and fast read, but packed with well-developed characters and a unique engaging plot which all leads to an explosive ending that wraps everything up just enough to satisfy but also leave you craving the sequel! Will I go out and buy a finished copy? You bet your meatballs I will!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crash.

12/08/2012 page 22
8.0% "Oooh, her dad is a hoader. Interesting!"
12/11/2012 page 256