Cassi aka Snow White Haggard's Reviews > Dead Reckoning

Dead Reckoning by Mercedes Lackey

Jun 09, 12

bookshelves: read-in-2012, galleys
Read from June 04 to 08, 2012

Dead Reckoning was a fun little read. As soon as we met Jett, a girl dressed up as a gunslinging cowboy searching for her lost brother, I knew this was going to be entertaining. I'm a sucker for a girl dressing as a boy to make her way in the world.

This book wasn't great. But it is a steampunk zombie Western that's fairly good and I'm okay with that. Jett Gallatin, gunslinger, confederate sympathizer, and a girl (who misses pretty dresses!) is my type of heroine. She's not ridiculously intelligent or good looking. Instead, she's determined and brave. She's looking for her twin brother who went missing after the Civil War. She would do anything to find and protect him. That's why she's dressed as a man. It's not because she hats being a girl, though she's not such a fan of corsets anymore, but that she loves her brother. Jett is the heart of this book.

This book has some pretty big flaws. The worst is it's tendency to tell rather than show which frustrated me. Give your readers some credit. They can make connections without the characters explaining them. Also this book is told in 3rd person, jumping between Jett, Gibbons and White Fox's point of views. Honestly this felt like a mistake. Probably 80% of the book follows Jett's POV. Her's is the most fleshed out and compelling. Jumping to Gibbon's and White Fox's felt a little lazy. With a little more effort the book could've stayed with Jett. The problem with telling, rather than showing, was also more prevalent in the other point of views.

At the end, the book left some threads hanging and Gibbon's blatantly said she thought the characters would see each other again (really telling and not showing, again. Her character is the worst for it). I might like the idea of this book more than the execution. Nonetheless I want to read the sequel mainly because I want to find out what happened to Jett's brother, a mystery the story leaves dangling. If you see this book and you're in the mood for a steampunk zombie western, I'd give it a try.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Reckoning.

06/04/2012
11.0% "Girl dressed as a boy in the opening pages? You know how I feel about that! (also I'm behind on this book and I feel terribly guilty about it)"
06/04/2012
20.0% "So far enjoyable. Western, steampunk, girl dressing as boy, zombies. Though I feel like it's TELLING me too much b/c the 3rd person narrative. Like Jett will point out that Gibbons isn't paying attention to White Fox when I'd rather SEE that myself."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jim (new)

Jim Steampunk zombie western, and Cassi liked it. Can't go wrong with that!

TheFountainPenDiva Zombie Western with girls disguised as boys. Cool. One of those characters is a confederate sympathizer? NOT! Got to take a pass on this one.