DRM's Reviews > Tropic of Capricorn

Tropic of Capricorn by Henry Miller

Nov 20, 08

Read in October, 2008

What do you say about a book that is almost exclusively mental masturbation? At times Miller can be excruciating but for the most part I like his boldness to turn anything floating around his head (both of them) into engaging literature. Contrary to what most reviewers have said about this one, I actually liked it best when his tangential whirlwinds focused on childhood memories and other daily minutiae rather than the bizarre sexual ones. Probably because I'm reading this in a vastly different time than when it was first published in France during the '30s and purely sexual writing doesn't pack the same punch nowadays. "Shocking" writing tends to descend into self-parody pretty quickly but I think Miller stays afloat for me because his audacity extends into all sorts of subject matter in his writing. It's a tough balancing act, but ultimately his imaginative force really is what propels this book into a triumph perhaps surpassing even Tropic Of Cancer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tropic of Capricorn.