Torii's Reviews > What We Talk About When We Talk About Love

What We Talk About When We Talk About Love by Raymond Carver

Jun 04, 2012

liked it
Read from June 02 to 04, 2012 — I own a copy

I read through this short collection rather quickly. My initial reaction was that I didn't enjoy Carver as much as I initially thought, but in retrospect, it's not that I don't enjoy his work as a whole, it's that I prefer to read his stories on their own, rather than reading through an entire collection all at once. Due to the simplicity of the stories, I find I like to mull them over longer--and even discuss them, rather than absorbing them and moving on.

Two of these stories I had read already--"The Bath" and the title story. I actually enjoy the latter revision of "The Bath" more--"A Small, Good Thing"--but as I tell my fiction students when I give them those two stories, it really depends on the day of the week. Sometimes I like the simpler telling, sometimes the more characterized one.

I can see why so many people struggle to write Carver-style... and why it's really a hopeless endeavor to try, if it's not your style. There's only one Carver. And, apparently, I can only take him in small doses, anyway.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What We Talk About When We Talk About Love.